Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW/DVDRom Problem

• Please log in to reply

WapWap

WapWap

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Armada M700, running Win XP Pro.

I bought a new CD-RW/ DVD combo with the understanding that it was compatible with my notebook.

I have upgraded the bios with the latest RomPAQ from the HP website.

The drive is a Sony CRX830E, my old CD-ROM is a Compaq CD-224E.

When I plug in the new drive and try to boot, the Compaq logo appears it just beeps at me and says Fixed Disk Parameter Table or BIOS Error, System Halted.

I thought it may be a boot order problem in the BIOS so I have tried to change the bootorder, but all I have in my bios is "Computer Setup" - "Advanced" - "Boot Options" - QuickBoot (Enable/Disable)
MultiBoot (Enable/Disable)
Boot Order:
Notebook Multibay (!st/2nd/3rd)
Notebook hard drive (1st/2nd/3rd)
Notebook Ethernet (1st/2nd/3rd)

With the CD-RW/DVD removed, if I depress the F12 key to enter Network Service Boot it informs me of PXE-E61: Media Failure, Check Cable. But then continues to boot normally

Could somone explain to me am I in the right BIOS? I have read of others with so many other options in their boot options! If not how do I get there? What does each of these options do?

Does anyone know if my combination will actually work? I have no way of setting master and slave/ primary and secondary jumpers.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I also own a M700 and upgraded my DVD/CD-Rw. My model is GCC-4243n.

Are you sure this sony is compatible with the M700?

What happens if you replace the new drive with the old, does it boot up fine?

There is another screen, but it has to do with power management and shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. If you hit ctrl+s, during the compaq logo, (or just before, I can't remember off hand), you will see the APM/ACPI options.

If the drive is compatible, there is nothing you have to do in the bios and the drive should be plug and play.

makai

WapWap

WapWap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I, myself, am not sure if it is compatible. I was told it was when I bought it.

No, it doesn't boot up fine when I replace the old drive with the new. It just beeps at me and gives me the old "Fixed Disk Parameter Table or BIOS Error, System Halted"

In the BIOS I have, could you tell me what each option does? I have a limited knowledge of this area?

Also, thanks for telling me about the other screen, and could you tell me what each option does here please? i.e. Boot Protocol, Pnp/BEV Boot, Default Boot,
Local Boot, Prompt Time, Setup Message, Power Mgmt

Thanks again

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I am at work right now and cannot access my m700. Off the top of my head, I can't recall the bios without actually looking at it. When I get home today, I will post to answer your questions.

makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I thought it may be a boot order problem in the BIOS so I have tried to change the bootorder, but all I have in my bios is "Computer Setup" - "Advanced" - "Boot Options" - QuickBoot (Enable/Disable)
MultiBoot (Enable/Disable)
Boot Order:
Notebook Multibay (!st/2nd/3rd)
Notebook hard drive (1st/2nd/3rd)
Notebook Ethernet (1st/2nd/3rd)

My bios has Computer Setup at the top of the screen
Directly below is...
File Security Advanced

Under File is System information
Save to floppy (greyed)
Restore from floppy (greyed)
Restore defaults
Ignore changes and exit
Save changes and exit

Under Security
Setup Password
Power-On password
Password options (greyed)
DriveLock passwords (greyed)
Device security
Sytem IDs

Under Advanced
Language
Boot Options
Device options

My Boot options look like this
QuickBoot: enable
Multiboot: disable
Boot Order:
Notebook Multibay Second
Notebook hard drive First
Notebook Ethernet Third

Does you Boot options look exactly the way you have posted it? This looks totally wrong on your machine. If it does look like that, go to File and choose Restore defaults and see if the Boot options change to reflect mine. You may have to Save changes and exit and reenter bios.

Let me know what happens.

makai

Edited by makai, 22 July 2005 - 07:06 PM.