Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Explorer displays hardware status incorrec

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been trying for ages to get my DVD drives to be read correctly in Windows Explorer.

Until I reformatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows XP all worked as it should.

Now, when I put a Video DVD into the drive Windows Explore interprets it as a CD and considers it blank with no data. When I put a data DVD in the drive Windows Explorer reads it correctly.

EG Windows Explorer states +CD Drive (D:) with a Video DVD inserted; and +DVD Drive (D:) with a Data DVD inserted,

I have installed codecs using the program Power DVD and strangely this program WILL read and play the inserted DVD. But Windows Explorer will not show any folder or VOB file.

These are video DVD's that I have made myself, which worked perfectly fine before I had to reformat the hard drive. And I could see in Windows Explorer.

I HAVE Uninstalled both DVD drives and had windows re-detect the drives

I HAVE Installed codecs through programs like PowerDVD and VLC which I have had installed before. Power DVD works fine, but VLC does not this time.

Because The file structure of Video DVD's cannot be seen by Windows XP/Explorer I cannot edit them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you play the files with Windows Media Player? WMP shuld be able to play VOBs. You may need to set up a file association with WMP before Explorer or IExplorer will be able to open them. If worse comes to worst you may need to do that in the Registry.