Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking my video card

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey guys. I have had my video card for about a month now. It has given me zero problems with any games and I feel it's necessary for me to start playing around with overclocking. I will be using Rivatuner, internal and external temp sensors, and only making increments of a few MHz at a time.

My question is: How hot is too hot? I want to know how hot my card could get before it's considered unsafe. Thanks!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

My question is: How hot is too hot?

When you see smoke, then it's definitely too hot! :tazz:

Just kidding! Now why do you feel compelled to overclock your card? I'm just curious?
I run an old Radeon 9800Pro and it does fine in FarCry and Doom (not great, but fine). I have never felt a need to take the chance of blowing something up for the sake of a few megahertz.

But, anyways, good luck.

makai

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

why do you feel compelled to overclock your card?

I am just testing to see if a few MHz makes a difference. If it doesn't, then I will just leave well enough alone. But, if it does, then I wanna just be sure of what temp I should watch out for before i melt my card...

If a little OCing gives a lot of performance, then i will buy an extreme GPU cooler and see how far I can go!

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well i replaced my xfx 2ed revision agp 6600gt 256mb.to cool down the video card more and get rid of the noisy fan plus overclock a bit. lowered temps down 10C :tazz:
60mm Ball Blue LED Light All-in-one VGA Cooling Kit

Edited by RogueComGeek, 23 July 2005 - 07:09 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Overclocking a vid card gives almost no real performance increase nothing really noticable unless it is an older card or it is a really gfx intense game you might notice less stuttering but in normal operation and 99% of games you wont get an advantage. The gfx card temp should be the same at a about 45 degress more or less the fan speed will increase to compensate if it ever rises above normal you are in trouble. Gfx card overlcocking isnt worth the hassle. Rivatuner is good but it can occasionally load way to high settings.
Just use ntune if you are using nvidia by the way its more reliable.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Overclocking a vid card gives almost no real performance increase

really? Then how come i hear of so many people doing it? Is it a common misconception?