Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

W2k prof. - log in problems as the administrator..

• Please log in to reply

nygiants

nygiants

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I am running W2k prof. and now have a problem logging into my administrator account. This computer is used by my family and each member has their own user name. My administrator password is no longer being accepted after a few days. No one has access to the administrator password. This affects my whole system since nothing can be changed without logging in as the administrator. I have had to replace the .sam file a few times to reset the administrator password. This is kind of getting old now and I would like to know if anyone else has had this sort of problem. I have scanned my entire hd for a virus or spyware and come up clean. As far as I know, my security are up to date and I do have the service pack 4 installed. Once again, no one in my family knows what my administrator password is to this computer. Please reply if you know what may be causing my administrator password to change.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where are you getting the SAM file from...sounds like you have a corrupted file and you keep replacing it with the same file that gets corrupted...possible.

Have you, on changing the SAM file, then changed the password from within the ADMIN account for the Admin account?

How about creating a new account with admin privilidges?

nygiants

nygiants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The .sam file I use is in the repair folder of winnt. I don't think the file is corrupt though. I have changed the password everytime from my administrator account. Also created another like you mentioned and still get the same results after a few days.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the other account password changes to?

nygiants

nygiants

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok,
I think my problem is solved. I did some research and changed some of my security settings. Thanks for your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
what settings did you change

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yeah, tell, so we can file it away for future reference