Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM prob

• Please log in to reply

Ultra_Kyu

Ultra_Kyu

• Pip
  • 6 posts
One last thing. I have two sticks of 512 DDR sticks. They are the exact same brand/model. I plug them both in and it only reads as me having 512 RAM. But when I take one out it only reads 256. Ive tried every possible combination ( mobo has 4 slots) of plugging them in and I get the same problem each time. Obviously my machine is only reading them at 1/2 potential. Why is this and how do I correct it? (not that anyone really needs 1GB of RAM lol)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Does your motherboard support 512MB's of RAM per slot? You may need to update your BIOS to recognize it, or maybe it just won't be able to recognize more than 256.

Ultra_Kyu

Ultra_Kyu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I found out that my motherboard has maximum memory potential of 4GB. So, I know it supports at least 1GB per slot...right? As for my BIOS, I wasnt able to do anything with updating it to recognize it =/

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What's the make and model of your motherboard, and memory?