Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2?

• Please log in to reply

incognito167

incognito167

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello all.

I'm new to this site, but it seems cool and I can see myself using it alot in the future.

My question is this - i'm about to get broadband internet and I'm looking into Virus checkers and firewalls. I asked my computer geek friend and he said that the firewall included in XP SP2 was adequate and to download an antivirus checker from either (http://www.free-av.com/) or (http://free.grisoft....eweb.php/doc/1/).

I was going to buy McAfee Virus scan and firewall, but if i can use freeware stuff and still be protected then I don't want to waste money.

So do you have any suggestions?

My other friend said that when he installed XP SP2, it messed his computer up and suggested that i shouldn't use it.

I'm confused and need your help. I want security for my computer and internet, but i don't want it mess my system up nor dso i want it preventing me from downloading stuff nor take up too many resources causing slowing of performance.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Mart.

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hi incognito167 and welcome to geekstogo

My question is this - i'm about to get broadband internet and I'm looking into Virus checkers and firewalls. I asked my computer geek friend and he said that the firewall included in XP SP2 was adequate and to download an antivirus checker from either (http://www.free-av.com/) or (http://free.grisoft....eweb.php/doc/1/).

I would advise you to update to service pack 2. You can use the tools provided with SP2, but if you choose an alternative make sure you disable these first. I'd recommend grisoft avg if you want a free one.

I was going to buy McAfee Virus scan and firewall, but if i can use freeware stuff and still be protected then I don't want to waste money.

I would prefer the ones you pay for myself as i think they do a better job.

My other friend said that when he installed XP SP2, it messed his computer up and suggested that i shouldn't use it.

There are some issues with SP2 and resources. Doubt you should have to worry about this. The point of SP2 is to patch up security leaks. What setup do you have?

I'm confused and need your help. I want security for my computer and internet, but i don't want it mess my system up nor dso i want it preventing me from downloading stuff nor take up too many resources causing slowing of performance.

What do you use at the moment?
Here are some good programs:
Ad-aware.
Using Ad-aware: Open Ad-Aware and use the Check for updates now link. Download and accept the latest reference file. When finished click the Start button. When done scanning, the Abort button will change to Next. Click the Next button. Right-click in the Scanning Results window and click "Select all objects". Then click the "Next" button and confirm that you want to delete the selected entries.

Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.

When finished, Reboot your computer. Finally, reply to this post with a new HiJackThis log so we can look for any nasties that may have been missed. <_<

[http://www.geekstogo...oad&id=17]CLICK HERE to download CWShredder[/URL]
CLICK HERE to download Spybot S&D

How do you prevent spyware from being installedH? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

After doing all these, your system, used properly will be thoroughly protected from future threats. :D

incognito167

incognito167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for your help.

what kind of setup do you have?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but my computer is a stand-alone, used for regualr home use. Pretty much all the windows setting the default ones.

As for security...right now i don't use anything. But with my impending broadband connection i want a firewall and AV software.

Thanks again.
Mart.

Hi incognito167 and welcome to geekstogo

I would advise you to update to service pack 2. You can use the tools provided with SP2, but if you choose an alternative make sure you disable these first. I'd recommend grisoft avg if you want a free one.

I would prefer the ones you pay for myself as i think they do a better job.

There are some issues with SP2 and resources. Doubt you should have to worry about this. The point of SP2 is to patch up security leaks. What setup do you have?

What do you use at the moment?
Here are some good programs:
Ad-aware.
Using Ad-aware: Open Ad-Aware and use the Check for updates now link. Download and accept the latest reference file. When finished click the Start button. When done scanning, the Abort button will change to Next. Click the Next button. Right-click in the Scanning Results window and click "Select all objects". Then click the "Next" button and confirm that you want to delete the selected entries.

Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.

When finished, Reboot your computer. Finally, reply to this post with a new HiJackThis log so we can look for any nasties that may have been missed. <_<

[http://www.geekstogo...oad&id=17]CLICK HERE to download CWShredder[/URL]
CLICK HERE to download Spybot S&D

How do you prevent spyware from being installedH? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

After doing all these, your system, used properly will be thoroughly protected from future threats. :D

View Post