Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freeze!

• Please log in to reply

Kayne

Kayne

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Some discs i put into my computer, eg. games, dvd's or even blank discs, freeze the computer once i have inserted them. This does not happen with all discs, but it happens! I have plenty of available space on my computer, and i dont know why this is happening. Any help would be great!

Advertisements

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello Kayne,

I would like to help, but I need some info first.

1. Which OS are you using? I'll assume XP.
2. What kind of drive is it? You can find out in the Device Manager:

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. Then expand the tree labeled "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Are the discs you're using store bought or burned? Sometimes bad burns can slow down windows while the drive tries to read it.

Let's start with those.

Urich

Kayne

Kayne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
1. I am using XP Pro
2. The drive is "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D"

3. No, the discs are fine.

Thanks for your help!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

1. I am using XP Pro
2. The drive is "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D"

3. No, the discs are fine.

Thanks for your help!

View Post

that did not answer his question.

Here's why it is important...a burned disc burned by home burners generally work, but the standard for burning is a little loose. Home burners can work fine as long as the cd is used on the same CD-burner, but the laser can have infintesimally small variations that make reading burned discs in other PCs a little tricky sometimes.

Your CD_rom could be dirty...when was the last time you ran a cd-rom cleaner through it?

Also, your CD-rom could be dying. The laser may be weakening over time and no longer pick up the data bits it once did.

edmundlg

edmundlg

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
how old is your drive ? and what kind of disc you put in will hang the machine ? this is important.
Disc burn by other CD writers may not be reliably read by all other CD writers, if there is no problem reading a genuine CD, at least everything is OK.
As a common user normally using a CD writer, the laser shouldn't have problem if the writer is less than 5 years of age.

Kayne

Kayne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The thing is, it happens with some burnt discs, but also game discs.. eg. HALF LIFE 2, and THE SIMS 2 freeze during installation, but this didnt just happen one day, it has been like this since i brought the computer, which was about 8 months ago, and the computer is fairly new...

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
For the discs that won't work, have you tried them in another PC? If they won't work anywhere else, then it would seem to be the discs. If they work fine elsewhere, then you might suspect your drive :tazz: