Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning off spyware and Norton

• Please log in to reply

rjw0501

rjw0501

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

Quick question, Is it ok to turn OFF my Norton's a/v, and my Webroot Spy Sweeper
while I am surfing the internet, then every couple days turn them on to sweep entire system for virus's and bugs?

The reason I ask is because when there on, the computer is ALOT slower.

Thanks for your help, If you could, please give the pro's and con's.

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
rjw0501, that ISN'T recommended.
What browser do you use? Do you have ANY other protection programs than SpySweeper and Norton?
If you would disable both of them-- then surf few days - then clean with them, my opinion is NO. You could get whatever malware/viruses - Norton can't clean your system by itself.

Or if you REALLY wan't to disable it (and as I said - it isn't recommended),
you should download at least SpywareBlaster here; http://www.javacools...sbdownload.html (Small program - won't take resources much - is freeware - has excellent protection & you don't have to keep it opened to get the protection.)
Update -> enable protection.

If you're using Internet Explorer - then it would be absolute NO to disable protection.
Get Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org/

Don't tell me that you don't have a firewall?

And, if you're trying to get rid of your protection because your computer is SLOWER - I would say it isn't a good excuse. Since if you would get bad infection.. Let's say like browser hijack, then your slow computer would be last of your worries.

- Rawe :tazz:

rjw0501

rjw0501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank You.

I will keep on, I added the spyblaster you recommended, I downloaded it, enabled it, do I need to do anything else? It just works without me having to do any sweeps or anything.

Thanks for your quick replies!

Bob

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
SpywareBlaster is protecting your system,
just update it periodically, at least once a week.
You can just update -> Enable protection & close it. Please do note that SpywareBlaster isn't Anti-virus software, it's anti-spyware software.

Do you have Norton firewall or only Anti-virus?

And you REALLY should use Firefox (faster/better/safer than IE), also it has HUGE selection of themes/extensions to make it better. It also has built-in popup blocker/cookie manager (both are better than IE's.)
Also it's being updated constantly - all security vulnerabilities which are being reported to the developers, usually are patched with updates in couple of weeks.
Microsoft hasn't updated IE for long time now. And you don't even have to open up many windows of Firefox if you want to open many sites at the same time - you can just open them in tabs in one window! You would like it.

rjw0501

rjw0501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have Nortons a/v, my computer says it has a firewall activated in the Windows Security Center, it say Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection all checked ON. Is that firewall good enough? Please advise.

Thanks Bob

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Windows Firewall is rather poor.
You will get far better control if you download & install a better alternative (freeware) firewall here;
Sygate

If you download & install it, and use it, then you should go to -> "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Windows Security Center" -> "Windows Firewall" -> Disable Windows Firewall. This is because two firewalls enabled at the same time can cause stability problems.

Automatic updates is also good, but you should go and check www.windowsupdate.com (you will need to use IE for this site. I actually use IE ONLY for this site. Firefox is my default browser.) and see if there is any available critical updates.
If there is - apply them - reboot.

This should help..

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
I almost forgot that you posted this because your computer is slow -
take a look at this thread for some ideas on how to make it faster;
http://www.geekstogo...low-t46621.html ;)