Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do you stop...?

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
when you're on a website with numerous gallerys on it, and you click on one of the gallerys to look at whats inside, but the site that opens is a completely new and unrelated website. how do you stop this and why does it happen?

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
You cannot "Stop" this.

The reason it opens up as a completely new website is because some galleries on websites are linked to other galleries on other webpages.

You can't do anything about it, since it depends on what website you are accessing. Understand?

Werner :tazz:

mcfart01

mcfart01

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
whaT BROWERS ARE U USING TRY using a popup blocker

Edited by mcfart01, 23 July 2005 - 10:10 AM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
If you'd use a popup blocker, that wouldn't do any better.
If you'd click on a gallery to see what's inside, and it wouldn't open in the same window - rather in a new one, then the popup blocker would just prevent it from opening.

Make sense?

- Rawe :tazz:

gritbox, are you using Firefox.. Or IE.. Or maybe Opera?

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey thanks

im using internet explorer, if i switch to firefox will it work?

no but the thing is, if i try it maybe 5 or 6 times then the 6th time it will open up the gallery i want, so it cant be just that the gallery isnt there and it is forwarding me to the new site every time. u understand?

cheers

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

hey thanks

im using internet explorer, if i switch to firefox will it work?

no but the thing is, if i try it maybe 5 or 6 times then the 6th time it will open up the gallery i want, so it cant be just that the gallery isnt there and it is forwarding me to the new site every time. u understand?

cheers

View Post

So are you saying when you click a link or gallery it(your browser) takes you somwhere other than where the link or gallery points? If your answer is yes you may have a low level browser HiJack. Just a thought.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
True actually.. Why didn't I think about that? :tazz:

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok. say im in a site where theres a huge gallery of thumbnails. if i click on a thumbnail i will go to a gallery. sometimes though when i click on a gallery i get taken to a whole new site, other times it works fine. it is random and is not the same gallery each time. does this mean i have a mild form of hijacking? if so, how do i clear it out? thanks a lot

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok. say im in a site where theres a huge gallery of thumbnails. if i click on a thumbnail i will go to a gallery. sometimes though when i click on a gallery i get taken to a whole new site, other times it works fine. it is random and is not the same gallery each time. does this mean i have a mild form of hijacking? if so, how do i clear it out? thanks a lot

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi again.

See what happens - start here; http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html ;)

- Rawe :tazz:

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey

thats brilliant ma man. im in work just now but im going to go home now and do that. do you think i should wipe my hard drive and start from scratch?? ive got an 80 gig hd and its97% full. its a joke!!!

thanks a lot

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
If you would like to wipe your HD and start fresh that is completly up to you as it is your machine and you can do what you like with it. However, we do not suggest wiping out your machine for a quick fix as not all malwares and such reside on the hard drive so to speak. It would be best for you to go where suggested by Rawe go through the process especially the CLICK HERE process as this will clean up about 70% of all issues on your machine. If you do all of that and then are still having problems then post the HiJack This log in that thread and an expert will help you shortly. Once you have a clean bill of health from the malware experts you should then wipe out your HD if you so desire. If you don't wipe out your HD and problems still persist after getting a clean bill of health repost to THIS thread and we will be much obliged to help you further.

On a side note, If you haven't already you really should look into Mozilla's collection of web utilities. Firefox along with Thunderbird (Mozillas EMail client) work together seamlessly and even better than IE and Outlook. Then of course theres always the Mozilla Suite with Email incorporated directly into the browser itsself. You could also try Opera's Browser.

Mozilla Site
Opera Site

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

True actually.. Why didn't I think about that?  :tazz:

View Post

Because you are used to dealing with High End problems. Nah, I dunno but makes me feel good to know I beat an expert to the punch. Stay cool brother. ;)

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ok thanks a lot, ill get on that later when i get home, cheers

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Because you are used to dealing with High End problems.  Nah, I dunno but makes me feel good to know I beat an expert to the punch. Stay cool brother.  ;)

View Post

Haha :tazz: