Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard/Processor fan are dead

• Please log in to reply

jozga

jozga

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I moved my Asus motherboard from one case to another... had several problems, failed to post (think this was becasue it was grounded on the case somehow. So I tested the board on a piece of cardboard as per the advice in this forum, and it powers up fine, except the mobo fan and processor fan do not work. I am certain all the power connections are in place.

Any advice? Short of getting a multimeter I am stumped...

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like either the motherboad of power supply blew. Can you get your hands on another power supply to try a swap?

How about additional fan headers on your motherboard, have you tried plugging into those to see if the fan powers up.

o I tested the board on a piece of cardboard as per the advice in this forum, and it powers up fine

Does this mean you can get into bios? If you can, check the voltages in your bios. However, I wouldn't keep power on the motherboard too long as the CPU will get really hot without the fan running. Maybe try blowing air on it with an external fan of some sort just so you can have it on long enough to check the bios voltage monitors.

makai

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The fans don't work even if I plug them into different headers on the motherboard. I have tested with two different power supplies. Due to a seperate problem involving chassis intrusion I can't actually do anything in the bios, and I am not sure how to check the voltages anyway...

Seems odd to me that both fans would go off at the same time... maybe some sort of connector on the mobo got fried?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you try removing everything from the motherboard and connecting up just the motherboard, power supply, and one fan plugged into one of the headers.

If the fan still doesn't work on the suspected bad headers, then at least you'll know its the motherboard that's fried.

Try looking on the bottom of motherboard near the mounting holes for any burnt traces. If you can't see any, mayber the board just died and it was coincidental it happened when you swapped cases. In that case, if the mb is still under warranty perhaps you can RMA it.

makai

jozga

jozga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks again for the reply. It occured to me that I haven't checked any other fans running from those headers, it is possible that both of the fans are just dead, unlikely but possible.

At the moment I have set up a fan attached to the processors heatsink that is running from a PSU molex... I may just have to leave it like this as the mobo is far too old to return to the manufacturer. Testing the temperatures in the bios it seems like the mobo runs cooly even without the 2cm fan on it working...

Strange old computer.