Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Crashes every week!

• Please log in to reply

DragonflyLilly

DragonflyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
You guys are super!!!! Thanks so much for the guidance and help. I will do everything you told me to. SO FAR.. I haven't had a lick of problems... but than again it doesn't take much. hehe. Thanks again!!! ;) :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I thought I would add my penny's worth. Winodws update can cause many problems to a computer, but there are was to prevent this. The first cause of problems with windows updates can be download too many at a time, which causes incompatablity sometimes, so turn of automatic updates (select notify but don't download, so you don't forget) and download all the the, high-priority, optional, and hardware three at a time at most leaving a gap between each session. Also sometimes antivirus program removes a line of code from the updates because it thinks it is a virus. So just in case trun of protection for the time it take to download the updates, but turn it bace on as soon as you can and do not use the internet while it is off with the exection of the microsoft updates page. Also I would get the service pact two and also would never use the windows fire wall. hope this helps :tazz:

Also I hope you cleaned out all the dust in side your computer, this can cause lot of problems and would explaine why it happen when you updated to XP. (XP uses more system recorces then ME and there for creates more heat causeing more problems.)

Edited by Michael Buckley, 24 July 2005 - 05:30 AM.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Windows Update is very safe to use as are automatic updates. The Windows Firewall especially the one in SP2 is very secure and extremely easy to use for the average user. Anyone connecting to the Internet today should use a firewall and the Windows XP firewall is a very good solution.

XP uses more system recorces then ME and there for creates more heat causeing more problems

This is not true, XP has requirements that must be met including drivers. It has nothing to do with Heat production. On an XP compatible system with no Viruses or Spyware and all working, properly configured hardware XP works flawlessly. Serious issues like this are related to defective, misconfigured or incompatible hardware, viruses or bad drivers.

Edited by GeneralAres, 26 July 2005 - 12:51 AM.

DragonflyLilly

DragonflyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Serious issues like this are related to defective, misconfigured or incompatible hardware, viruses or bad drivers.

View Post

So what are your suggestions as far as finding a solution to all the problems? I've done everything everyone has suggested thus far.. I haven't updated through windows yet.. and my system is running stable and clean. I did clean out the dust and nasties inside the tower.. made sure the fan was working properly. Seems to be doing well so far.
Would love to hear your input. :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
IF you have formated you hard drive and reinstall and install a anti virus program you should not have a virus. I might by the hardware drives causing problems, try updateing them useing the windows updates (this is waht the hardware slecteion is).