Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem stopped working after storm

• Please log in to reply

sueg1

sueg1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, my friend's pc was fine until a storm came over now the modem won't work.

The PC is running win 98se.

I have checked the modem (Modem diagonstics, more info) and it's working fine, but each time i go to connect it say's no dial tone.

Could the modem still be at fault?

Thanks

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Back a few years ago, before we were blessed with broadband, I had a storm pass and my modem didn't work anymore either. I later found out (took me about a week to notice the black spot under the roof eaves.) that we had been struck by lightning, and one of our TV's burned out as well.

Something to check into?

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Same thing happened to me too a while back, modem was fried after a storm. Found out there is a reason to run the phone line through the surge suppressor :tazz: And I still can't get broadband, so it's stayed that way for a while with much better results ;)