Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote removal of spyware /malware

• Please log in to reply

1brokenpc

1brokenpc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Last mothers day my wife and I bought my mother-in-law here first computer ;) Two months ago she had a cable modem installed and now her pc is infect with all sorts of spyware and malware :tazz: and she has asked me to help her fix her pc.

Here are my problems:
1) My mother-in-law is not very computer literate and does not quite understand my verbal instructions and ends up getting extremely frustrated.

2)The computer is in California and I am in Colorado. I am currently using UltaVNC, from uvnc.net, as a stop gap and have ordered pcAnywhwere 11.5 as a long term solution to remote control her PC.

3)I can not figure out how to remotely reboot her pc in to safemode and still have the ability to use the remote viewer. I am hoping that pcAnywhere will allow me to do this.

4)I was able to get her to run Ad-Aware and Norton AV in safe mode for me but this did not seem to work.

5)How do I get you the information that you need with out having physical access to the pc. Or can I acces the info you need with my remote access with no safemode access.

Thanks in advance for your help and tips,

~Rich

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
She would need to reboot into safe mode with networking and then you can connect.

PCAnywhere will allow you to dial in, but the reboot will still disconnect you requiring you to reconnect.

Might I suggest your mother-in-law post a topic to the malware forum, rather than you try to walk her through....our malware experts have a great deal more experience than you walking people through tough uninstalls, they are gentle, and it may be less stressful for everyone involved.

Since you can connect using vnc, you ought to download and install all of these programs

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

and also print out some instructions for your mom to follow along

1brokenpc

1brokenpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the links to the programs. I will install them and have her post.

Thanks,

Rich

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
1brokenpc,

When your mother-in-law posts please be sure to tell her that we will get to it as soon as we can, we are very busy in the Malware forum, adn it could easily take up to 5 days for the first post. until then please be patient.