Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tons of Script Errors~Can't Open Web Sites

• Please log in to reply

DynamiteBlonde

DynamiteBlonde

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: HELP, PLEASE! I'm trying to help my sweet brother and his wife with their computer - she's pressing him to throw it out the window and get her a new one. They have an older E machine they bought new that runs Windows 98. They're using Juno as their ISP and have Norton Antivirus (but only recently). They never updated their programs like Internet Explorer, Windows -- nothing. So, I've tried to download the updates but heavens -- I only have so much patience. These script errors are continually popping up-- I'm not teasing -- I mean continually. Like I'll accept one script error and in the next window is another and another and another and then it will totally block pages I'm trying to go to. I tried to run a PC diagnostic and fix-it program that I recently found and use on my computer and it won't even let me run the diagnostic tests. Sometimes it says the program needs Internet Explorer 5 or higher to run and it's not on the machine and sometimes it just hangs up and won't load the page at all. After messing with it for a while (and pulling out my hair) I came up with the brilliant idea of just wiping out the hard drive and re-loading. And everything, of course, has to be done NOW! So, I tried the simple way of using the boot up disk to reload the original programs and thus wipe out the hard drive. Didn't work, of course. Same script errors and blocking windows I'm trying to look at. My sister-in-law is needing to send some resumes to her job for another position TODAY, of course, and I'm at a loss-- I don't know what to do. And I'm certainly not a computer expert by any means. And I'm getting further and further behind with my work . . . HELP please. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G;

Take a look in Internet Options>Advanced tab..

Make sure "disable script debugging" IS checked and the "display a notification about every script error" is NOT checked.. Apply and okay out..

Murray

DynamiteBlonde

DynamiteBlonde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Murray S., I'm sorry I should have mentioned that was the first thing I tried, to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is this the same system??

How To Wipe A Harddrive and Start Over

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the version of Internet Explorer is older than IE5 it won't be able to handle the script on the MS update pages. But it will be able to access the page for downloading IE6SP1, the latest version. However you can also use another computer to download the installer to a floppy, about 480kb, and use the floppy to install the latest version on the old computer.

http://www.microsoft...ie6/default.asp

Then you will be able to handle the update pages. Your Java Runtime Environment will need to be updated too if you want full performance.