Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Suddenly Unreadable

• Please log in to reply

Silentheero

Silentheero

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My 200 GB hard drive was working fine, but I thought my mobo was messing up. Windows took forever to start, the hd light was always on, and it did not recognize the second ide cable in BIOS but did in Windows. But after i took it on a trip (prob not the best thing to do) the 2nd hd would not work. I checked the cables and even switched the hd to the 2nd ide with the dvd burner. Nothing. Windows computer management does not recognize the 2nd hd either. But after I removed the 2nd hd the system starts like normal (super quick) the hard drive light functions correctly, and the drives are recognized correctly in the BIOS. I have had the hd no longer than a year. I would like to keep the info on the drive if at all possible (a lot of my vids and stuff, prob 150GB) Is there something I missed? Or do I have a suficient case for the company to send me a new one?

Advertisements

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hmmm. I'd go ahead and try and pull as much info off of it as possible. You could try connecting into another computer (bad ide cable)? You probably have enough info to at least contact contact the manufacturer too.

-Matt