Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow windows start up

• Please log in to reply

plagosus

plagosus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Whenever I boot up windows, before XP even starts I have to sit through a very lengthy diagnostic check screen. On my other computers, I do not have this problem. When starting up windows I have to wait a very long time. Any advise on how to avoid this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
hello there,

OK, here's the problem. Your computer is likely to be infected with nasty stuff that we like to call MALWARE.

What you need to do, is go to THIS
forum and post a HJT log there.

You will be assisted by Malware removal experts and your problem will quickly be solved.

Hope all this helpd you,
Werner :tazz:

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi plagosus

the first suspect about system startup could be because of loading of lot of applications at startup. Just for example: yahoo messenger to some spyware. Added to it is services loaded by windows xp.
To disable the startup applications. try start->run->msconfig click ok.
Click on the Startup tab, you will see a list to programs with run at the startup.
Uncheck all the unnecessary programs and leave just the anti-virus and firewall programs if any.

You will see the difference.

Hope this will help