Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Got a new windows xp CD...STILL HAVE ERRORS!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Peepo28

Peepo28

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I deleted all partitions with fdisk, I was told I needed to get a brand new microsoft xp cd, did all of that...and STILL HAVE AN ERROR MESSAGE WHEN IT GETS TO "INSTALLING START MENU ITEMS" :tazz:

IT SAYS:

Copy Error

An error occurred while copying file filelist.xm_.

Cannot copy file to destination directory.

Click Retry to retry the operation or click Cancel to cancel.

I clicked retry a nd got the same error message. Hopefully someone is willing to help me. This is getting ridiculous. I'm broke AND my laptop is broke.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I wonder if your cd reader/burner is okay?

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well i think its fine because it boots the cd. it just for some reason has errors when it gets to this part of installing the start menu. the laptop is only a couple of months old. what i'm doing now is (this is probably not right but i wanted to give it a try) clicking cancel and allowing it to install without those copies.

hopefully i can then at least get windows up and running, and whatever is missing, i can download from the microsoft website or something <sigh>

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
bump :tazz:

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
bumpity bump!! <sniff> :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Either the files aren't being read from the cd or they aren't being written to the hard drive! Did you find any errors on the drive?

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well, previously, my computer crashed. It would only go to a black screen with weird numbers. So i deleted all partitions so I could start from scratch. then i bought the xp cd, and tried to install it. so i have no idea.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

well, previously, my computer crashed.  It would only go to a black screen with weird numbers.  So i deleted all partitions so I could start from scratch.  then i bought the xp cd, and tried to install it.  so i have no idea.

View Post

You can go to the disk drive makers website and download diagnostic software to a floppy, run the software to test your drive before wasting more effort on what might be unfixable.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
My friend is trying to help me. He said:

What you can try is to boot the XP CD and select Recovery console. At the command
prompt, create a directory on the C: drive called cd_install. Then copy the entire I386
directory from the CD to c:\cd_install as follows:

I'm assuming here that your CD drive is D: so substitue the correct drive letter.

copy d:\i386\* c:\cd_install\ /s/h/r/i/k/e/y/c

Watch the copy process and note any errors (the /c switch tells xcopy to ignore errors
and keep going so you need to record them to correct later). If there are any, retry
copying just that file or directory several times, you may get lucky and it will
work once.

If it all copies, install from the harddrive:

c:
cd cd_install
winnt

That's it.

but with my computer, i dont think it recognizes the asteriks * so it keepts saying that the parameter is not valid. anyone know anything about this?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
You can try and install and ignore the files then try and install them later with
sfc
You say you bought a new cd do you still have an old one?
if so when you get to the file that won't load swap cd's
I have the same problem with one of my programs

Edited by peterm, 22 July 2005 - 08:47 PM.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thanks peterm, i'm gonna try that right now

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the command is
copy d:\i386\*.* c:\cd_install\ /s/h/r/i/k/e/y/c

This will only work if the drive is formatted, though. You did get to that point of the install, correct.

This method has the virtue of copying files more slowly then windows setup, and a slower copy may succeed where the other failed. Another option is to isntall the drive in a different computer and do much the same thing.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up bringing my laptop to get fixed and even though it cost $300 :tazz: my computer is as good as new :) The problem was the hard drive. It was practically dead when I finally brought it in to be fixed. So all is well....I'm poor...but I have my computer to make me feel better. hehe. Thank you everyone who helped me!