Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Barely Responding...

• Please log in to reply

tokkaloke

tokkaloke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've enjoyed this site and how completely its directions purge your computer of malware. A while ago, I was having a terminal error and your instructions completely cured my computer.

But its been a few months since then, and for the first time I'm having a problem that your instructions haven't been able to help. Not because I followed them and they haven't helped-- but because my computer is responding so horribly that I can't even open up my spyware/malware destruction programs.

The computer was running perfectly, and after turning the computer on one evening, the desktop showed up and after that, nothing will respond. I double click icons, and it seems to be trying to load things-- they even show up in processes, but nothing happens. At least not for a good 20-30 minutes. The only thing I was able to do is open up msconfig (after like 15 minutes of waiting for it), and make sure nothing was initiating on startup that I didn't want to start. I tried to open the spybot program, and it starts working but it sat at a certain percent and didn't move. I let it sit there for a good hour. I can't get any of the programs you request to even start because my computer wont respond.

Are there any suggestions you can offer to fix my problem? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have a valid XP cd? Boot into safe mode, and run a System File Check.
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow
note the space between the c and the /

Johanna