Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

help help help

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
<_< help me out please i have recently bought an asrock mother board put a 1000mhz cpu in it with a 3d graphics card and also all the other extras but have also put a 256mb ram with the ddr of 400/pc3200 and im not sure if it is the right one for my pc, you see the problem is i have connected everything and then turn the power on for the computer it switches on but nothing else happens is the ram the cause of this?????

Advertisements

dudeit

dudeit

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What OS did you install and does the computer boot up into dos or do you get a message saying ...... ( what exactly happens when you turn on the power)any more info would help.

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*

What OS did you install and does the computer boot up into dos or do you get a message saying ...... ( what exactly happens when you turn on the power)any more info would help.

what do you mean by what OS? what i have done is bought a new mother board and everything have put everything in its place and then connected the power supply pushed the button on the front of the tower to start it and you can hear it power up and nothing else happens the screen stays on a standbye mode and nothing else

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Your RAM shouldn't cause any problems (it's actually faster than you need).

It sounds like you may have a case short. When you installed the motherboard did you use the standoffs supplied?

Probably the best thing to do is bench test a barbones system. Remove the motherboard from your case, connect only the CPU, video card and memory, see if you can get it to post. If so, start adding hard drive, sound cards etc, rebooting after each one. When you've confimed everything works on the bench, then reinstall it in the case (being careful to watch for any grounding of the motherbaord and case).

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
ok i will try that now and get back to you in a little while
thanks

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
nothing happend i bench test it without the cd-rom a drive or the harddrive and nothing happend

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try clearing your BIOS/CMOS by using the onboard jumper, or removing the battery and disconnecting the power for at least five minutes.

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
ok now going to try that, will let you know the out come in 5min

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
no that didnt work

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How many watts is your power supply? Do you have another one you can try?

Advertisements

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
the power supply is a 300watt

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
ive tried a different power supply, how can i check to see if the cpu is working? or see if the mother board is not faulty?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No beeps from your motherbaord, no post. Sounds like either a bad motherboard or bad power supply. The power supply could be tested at a local computer store using a power supply tester. If that's okay, I'd RMA the motherboard.

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
i cannot connect the speaker from the tower, the power supply is fine, how do i rma the mother board?

Guest_Ryan_*

Guest_Ryan_*
ok what i think might be wrong is that the procecer is damaged because as soon as i start it the screen goes onto a standbye what you think