Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brightness setting problem

• Please log in to reply

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, i don't know if i put this thread in the right spot, but it was the best spot i could find... anyways, what my problem is, is that my screen just got really dark, and my brightness settings are on what they've always been on. I even turned the brightness up but that didn't really help... it just made things foggy. I don't know how it happened, i was just playing a game and all of a sudden it crashed and the screen was pretty dark. Help me soon please, i'm getting used to this dark screen!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Okay.. let's do a little troubleshooting.. can you put your monitor on another system and see what happens??

Can you try a different monitor on your system??

Lets rule out the monitor and video card right off!!

Murray

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
errr... i can't really do that, not till my pop get's home... i think it has something to do with the game tho (i'm not much of a computer guy tho), cause i've noticed lots of games adjust the brightness and contrast setting to match their games, like America's Army...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

errr... i can't really do that, not till my pop get's home... i think it has something to do with the game tho (i'm not much of a computer guy tho), cause i've noticed lots of games adjust the brightness and contrast setting to match their games, like America's Army...

View Post

Then you should be able to "re-adjust" the settings with your monitor controls..

Murray

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well i used my moniter controls and turned my brightness all the way up to 100%, and it 's still dark...

EDIT:hey, i also noted something else, and that's some games i play will adjust the setting to be as bright as it used to, while some don't.

EDIT2: btw, the problem isn't that the game turned the settings down, but turned the settings down AND made it appear as if it was normal in the moniter and video card controls... like it reconfigured the whole thing...

Edited by ScionReaver, 22 July 2005 - 05:12 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can adjust your brightness and contrast settings in the "options" area of just about every game now..

Suggest you start the game you were playing and check in there for the settings..

Murray

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
this game (btw, i'm playing navy field) doesn't have any options... option. believe me, it's a pretty unthorough game...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then, I would seriously be trying my first suggestion or dumping your video card and re-installing it..

Murray

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok... well when my dad gets home i'm gonna try switching the moniters and then posting the results here...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That's the quickest test.. If his monitor works, then odds are you did something to yours..

If it doesn't, and yours works on his system, then something went haywire with your vid card!!

Murray

ScionReaver

ScionReaver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hey, what if it's neither, and has something to do with configuration (or does that mean something's wrong with the video card) how do i tell that's happening...

EDIT: well i fixed it... turns out i had fried my moniter a bit, all i had to do was turn it off for around 5 minutes, and when i turned it back on, it was fine.

Edited by ScionReaver, 22 July 2005 - 06:47 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
i dont think that you 'fried' you monitor cause if you did you would not be able to use it.

Are you normally just putting your monitor into stand-by?

What type of monitor do you have? a LCD flat pannel?

Edited by Tony_1983, 23 July 2005 - 09:06 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
:tazz: You can't "fry" a monitor a liitle bit..

What happened was that, when you shutdown and re-started your monitor, it "degaussed" itself.. It should do that every time you start the monitor (slight flicker/wobble on the screen)..

Mind you.. it could also be a forewarning of impending monitor problems with the high voltage output.. If that goes, time for a new monitor!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 23 July 2005 - 09:07 AM.