Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dreamweaver Crashing

• Please log in to reply

kkelley

kkelley

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My Dreamweaver (web publishing software) crashes every time I attempt to insert an image. "Dreamweaver encountered a fatal exception and will have to close". I'm probably paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. Dreamweaver only crashes when "windows" are open to try to select an image to insert.

I wondered if there was some kind of program conflict, so I removed Page Mill, but Dreamweaver is still crashing. I've also recently had problems with Windows Explorer crashing on its own.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When Windows Explorer crashes, do you get an error message "WE has encountered an error and needs to close" or does it just disappear? Have you looked in your event logs? I suspect DW is crashing because of WE, so don't uninstall-reinstall DW yet. Try an SFC (System File Check) first. If that doesn't improve things, you may want to visit the Malware Forum to rule out any uninvited critters on your system.

Johanna

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sometimes I get the "Encountered an error" message and sometimes it just disappears. That's the only program it happens with, because I can insert pictures in Word docs. I don't know what a System File Check is or how to do it. I'll check the Malware Forum. I use Norton and Panda, but something COULD have slipped through, I guess.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start > Run > cmd
sfc /scannow

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you. I hadn't heard of that, but I did run it and it didn't fix the problem. Dreamweaver is still crashing. It crashes, for example, when I click "insert" and get the dialogue window. I select the 1st level "Promotional Material" folder, then select the "images" folder, and that's when it crashes.

I had uninstalled it and reinstalled it before and it didn't help, either. Any other thoughts. Could it be a kind of software conflict?

Thanks for any other ideas you might have.

Kindly,
Kim

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Well, if Windows Explorer seems stable now, uninstall Dreamwaever, reboot, reinstall Dreamweaver. With luck, that will correct the problem.

Johanna

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll do that in the morning. And thank you for hanging with me on this one.
K

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I have come to find out that WE "encounters problems and closes" without Dreamweaver being open. It's even done it in a couple of other events, too. It's weird, but it only seems to do it like when I select down to the 3rd level, you know Singing Wolf Records > CD Artwork > EPK, By the time I click on, for example, EPK and try to select a file from that, it crashes. Any other thoughts? It's apparently not dreamweaver. Ugh. Thanks for your help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What do your event logs say?

Johanna

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, how do I find those? Boy, this is really an education! ;-)

kkelley

kkelley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OOps, what a nerd. What am I looking for? Heres's the last error on the "application" events report.

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Here's the one at about the same time:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0003426d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Edited by kkelley, 25 July 2005 - 06:53 PM.