Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freeze after connect solved?

• Please log in to reply

Jima1

Jima1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm wondering if the "PC Freeze for 5 min after dial-up" problem was ever definitively solved? Here is the old thread: http://www.geekstogo...opic=30168&st=0

This thread points to a potential solution using HijackThis ...has anyone tried it?
http://www.xpforum.c..._45__index.html

My symptoms are the same as the original poster: after the modem connects, anything that is already running keeps working fine, but attempts to start anything new don't respond for several minutes, then suddenly everything comes up. I'm cautious about running the cleanup programs, since some say they do harm as well as good, so wanted to bounce it off you guys first to see what's really helping the problem :tazz:

Thanks!

Jim

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!

Jima1

Jima1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've checked out the spyware/virus possibility, doesn't look like the problem. My PC has PestPatrol, Spybot, Fix-it Utilities VirusScan - all have current database, none report a problem. Have also previously scanned with McAfee. In the end you may be right, but it doesn't look like a strong possibility.

From the previous thread on this topic, it sounds more like a misconfiguration - somebody's installer (or uninstaller) leaves something tangled up in the registry, then something hangs after the modem connect.

HijackThis didn't find anything obvious either, although I'm still going through its output. That one seems more dangerous, since everyone warns about being careful what you delete with it.

Any other thoughts out there?

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
The scans you ran do not prove you are not infected. You need to run the online virus scan to be sure. As for Malware Spybot by itself does not find everything, you need to run adaware and Microsoft AntiSpyware then post a log in the Malware forums to be positive you are clean.

Edited by GeneralAres, 13 August 2005 - 04:26 PM.

Jima1

Jima1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
GeneralAres, thanks for your reply, point well taken. Will pursue the scans you suggest as time allows.

CirrusDX

CirrusDX

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I SOLVED IT!

This problem was plaguing me for a year, until my cousin suggested I try to fix it the other day when I was running dial-up at my relative's place and it happened. So I found this forum plus the other page that offered the Adobe solution (which didn't work by the way).

Actually, the problem for me extended beyond just dial-up. I connect to my DSL then to another ISP, and when I connect the 2nd ISP it does the freeze thing. It also happens when I connect via VPN to my college network. So I knew it couldn't be soley a modem issue.

Solution: Get rid of or uninstall IPv6.

How I came to this conclusion:

I was at the Microsoft knowledge base on how to reset TCP/IP settings which didn't solve it. So I went to the related page of figuring out if the Winsock had been corrupt. I did what they told me and got netdiag tool off the WinXP cd. I ran the program for /test:winsock /v. It passed the test, but there was something that caught my eye. It said that the "Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter" may not be working. I also noticed that the message would not be there when I connected to my second ISP or through dial-up, and that the adapter was active. So I did some research and found that it was connected to IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6). IPv6 was part of some SP1 Windows Update download if one chose to install it. I suspect that my laptop (which is a year old) came with it installed already. Anyway, I disabled the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter and it SOLVED IT! (You can do this by going into your Device Manager, show hidden devices, and disable it under Network Adapters.)

So I went a step further and found out how to uninstall IPv6 altogether. You can do so by opening up a command prompt and typing in "netsh interface ipv6 uninstall".

Though, I still haven't been able to uninstall the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter even after I uinstalled IPv6, but it doesn't cause an issue. Hoewver, I still keep it disabled.

Recap: Get rid of IPv6. Go to command prompt and type "netsh interface ipv6 uninstall"

I really hopes this helps those who've suffered from the same issue and haven't been able to solve it for ages. I was just lucky to stumble upon it.

Jima1

Jima1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
CirrusDX, I've disabled the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter as you described, it does look better! :tazz:
Will try it for a while before declaring total victory, and also go on to remove IPv6.

Thanks for posting. My system is a lot cleaner from all the virus/spyware scanning, but
the moral of the story is that there's still tons of room in Windows for configuration problems.... ;)

Jima1

Jima1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's been nearly a week now, no more hangs after the dial-up connection is established! :tazz:
CirrusDX, thanks again for sharing your experience.