Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My comp's never been worse...

• Please log in to reply

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello...My laptop has gone crazy on me...At first, I had simple malware that would have probably been easy to remove. I downloaded the free spyware removal tools that geekstogo recommends us to use before going on to post a Hijackthis log...Here's the funky part...I downloaded CleanUp and ran the program as instructed...But directly afterwards, my computer really got bad. Everytime I start windows, i get a message telling me "apoint.exe" isnt loading properly. I also cannot open most .exe files on my computer, including the spyware removers and HijackThis...It just gives me a message telling me the program might work if i reinstal it...I no longer have a Start button on my screen, my desktop icons look funny, and many other things are going wrong...I tried to use the windows xp restore function but that wont work either. Any suggestions? Ever hear of a similar problem? I appreciate ur time. Thnx

Advertisements

Elvedin

Elvedin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What i would do is reinstall OS or restore.
There are good programs that can remove stuff like that but i would reinstall fresh copy of OS and make sure you install Antivirus software .
Keep your OS up to date and get a good Firewall software.

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
Try booting up in safe mode...?

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried stuff in safemode and it didnt work. And I'd wanna fix this if at all possible without reinstalling the OS because the program i use to burn cd's doesnt open either so i cant backup any files that are important to me...Anyone know a way around that? Thanx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like your cleaning partially cleaned something, but left other parts intact.

I'm attaching a COM version of hijackthis....if you could post a hijack log IN THIS THREAD, I can take a peak at what may be going on...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
unzip

Attached Files

thepsilocybevibe

thepsilocybevibe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well...I tried downloading the compressed Hijack file but I cant use most programs...Inluding anything like winzip.....I get the same message telling me that the program will work if reinstalled....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this may work if you have the ability to burn a cd from another computer. go to www.dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/ and download the ubcd4windows.iso (it's not a small file) then burn it as a bootable iso image. then get back to me and i will try to help you get your files off of the machine so that you can reformat