Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I can't browse on one of my LAN Clients w/ dialup

• Please log in to reply

Goko

Goko

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 3 computers connected via LAN. At one time, I had all 3 successfully connected to the internet with my dial up connection, however, I have one that can no longer browse the internet. The host runs XP Pro, the client that can connect to the net runs ME, but the client running XP Home cannot connect to the internet. I have a good connection to the computer, have no hardware conflicts, have rerun the Network Connection Wizard and attempted to use the repair connection feature, which results in an error that tells me: "The following steps of the repair option failed; renewing the IP address". I've also attempted to release (successfully)and renew the IP address as a Command line, but the renew timed out. I have also assigned a manual IP to the default gateway of 192.168.0.1, which did not help.
ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
can you ping the host computer? if yes, can you ping a public IP like 4.2.2.1? this page may help,

how to troubleshoot internet access issuesHow to Setup Network, Internet Sharing, Remote Access and VPN Step by Step Guide ... New: Troubleshooting Windows Server 2003 SP1 Issues, IPSec Articles, ...
http://www.howtonetw...rnetaccess0.htm

Goko

Goko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you, Chicago!
I finally got all 3 working just fine just before I read your reply. I wish I could post how I did it, but I went through so many fixes.... I'm not sure which one worked! I teally appreciate your rapid response though! Thank you again!
-Goko

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
glad to hear you fixed it yourself and thank you for the feedack.