Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc wont start up

• Please log in to reply

shau

shau

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi there

i have big problems here and would appreciate any help.My brother was on the pc and he was using it for about half an hour and this red icon came up on the bottom right saying we got infected by a virus.he shut down the pc and now i cant get it to start up again,not even in safe mode.It turns on,says loading personal settings(my pc is configured to load me right in without me doing anything)then a black screen,this even happens in safe mode.I went into dos and found virus like popuper.exe(in windows dir),system32.exe(windows dir),intmon.exe,intmonp.exe,shnlog.exe,msole32.exe.I now dont know wot to do.Is there any way to reinstall windows xp without my programs not working afterwards?Because programs that use the registry wont work anymore after or is there something else i can do? Any help will be apprecciated.

thx

wai

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Here if you want to re-install, the Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation allows for keeping the data and settings, remember to also install all the service packs

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm