Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Signal Is There But Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply

reinks3988

reinks3988

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter and I chose this so that I could easily access my friend's wirless network easily on both my laptop and my desktop computer. He gave me permission and just lives in the house next to me. The network is unsecure and I was having no problems accessing it for about two weeks. Then the other day I opened up the connection window and it showed that I had a connection but when I tried to connect it wouldn't. It did this on both my laptop and my desktop computer. I also ran Netstumbler and it would show a very sporatic connection. It would come up for about 5 seconds and then disappear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
can you ping his wireless router? if yes, can you ping a public IP like 4.2.2.1?

this step by step troubleshooting may help.

how to troubleshoot internet access issuesHow to Setup Network, Internet Sharing, Remote Access and VPN Step by Step Guide ... New: Troubleshooting Windows Server 2003 SP1 Issues, IPSec Articles, ...
http://www.howtonetw...rnetaccess0.htm

reinks3988

reinks3988

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I cannot ping either one. It says that the destination host is unreachable. I don't believe that I am connected at all. When I run ipconfig /all it shows me that my media is disconnected for my belkin usb drive. Maybe I wasn't fully clear. When I use the windows xp wireless zero configuration utility it shows an unsecured network with a good signal but when I go to connect it just says waiting for the network and eventually times out. Like I said though, this was working fine for me just the other day. Thanks for you patience and any other help you can offer.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask: you have talked to your neighbour about this and nothing has changed on his end? Additionally, have you had your neighbour try changing channels on the AP? Most stable are 1, 6, 11, however, in the event of interference, 8 can be used with success.

Be well, SD

P.S> Any cordless phones been introduced recently? 2.4Ghz fones will tank your connection faster than...<insert metaphor here>

Be well, SD

Edited by SoccerDad, 23 July 2005 - 08:11 PM.

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
From what you've said, it sounds like your neighbor has decided he doesn't want you to use his connection anymore, and has turned on MAC filtering. "waiting for the network and eventually times out" If this is the case, the only way (legal) would be to solve it with him.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
agreed with jake sounds like mac filtering in which case you would have to inform him of ur mac addy and he can put it in.

reinks3988

reinks3988

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Jake and soccerdad, thanks for your help. You were right. Turns out someone else in the neighborhood was using our connection and he decided to filter them out. I just didn't think it was a problem on his end so I didn't ask him about it. There have been problems before and it was always because I had messed something up. He thought that he had my mac right but when I went over to ask him about it he knew right away.I gave him my mac and I am back in business. Anyways thanks a lot guys for the help and I will remember to come back here with anymore problems.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Stick a WEP code on the connection save the hassle.