Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Issues with Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Hie guys!

I've got Windows Media Player 10 installed on my computer, and it has been running fine until recently. Okay - wait. That is not really accurate. What I mean is, it is still running just fine, if by running fine you mean I can still play my media files as per normal, and do just about anything with Windows Media Player that I used to be able to. The issues I'm facing right now are really just a bunch of stuff that I don't get, or have no idea what to do about with.

First and foremost - the Windows Media Player setup utility, or setup_wm.exe, if you want to be really specific. See, lately this little file has been bugging me like mad. I open up Windows Media Player, and it starts asking for access to the Internet for no reason whatsoever - at random intervals. Basically, it goes something like this: I open up the Media Player, it asks for access. I allow it, then go back and delete the program from my ZoneAlarm Program Control list (so that the program will have to ask for permission to Internet access again, if it continues trying to connect to the 'Net), then open up Media Player to see if it is going to pop up again, and it doesn't. I do this about two more times, and I guess setup_wm.exe must be tired out or something, because it has stopped asking completely.

Then I discovered that if I go to 'Check for Player Updates...' from the Help tab on Windows Media Player 10, this little file will start running and asking for access again. Now, I'm no genius at stuff like this, but I thought that, yeah, this must be the program that Media Player uses to check for updates with. So I allowed it, and all was good. Actually, it isn't, because the checking for updates thing is another issue that is driving me bonkers, but that's for later.

But today yet another setup_wm.exe is popping up again, and this time from another location. Seems that I have two of these things on my PC, which is horrendously bizarre, and I don't get it at all. I don't know about you guys, but the two locations they are at are:

1) C:\Documents and Settings\home\Local Settings\Temp\setup_wm.exe
2) C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe

I've tried running both programs through the Start-Run utility, and both seem to do the same things. So pray tell, should I allow both programs Internet access, or block them completely?

Next issue - as mentioned earlier on, with updates this time. See, I try to Check For Updates, and setup_wm.exe (from the 1st location that I stated) runs. And the strange thing is, it will tell me, at times, that there are updates available. But when I try to download and run the updates, it will then inform me that I have a more recent version of Windows Media Player installed on the PC. The next time I try to Check For Updates again, it will tell me that my Windows Media Player is updated, but once I shut down and restart Windows Media Player, it is back to 'updates available, click to install...' all over again. Argh! Someone PLEASE tell me what to do about this, because I'm really at a loss about how to go about dealing with it. :tazz:

Lastly - should I or should I not allow access to Windows Media Player? I currently have Internet access blocked for both C:\Documents and Settings\home\Local Settings\Temp\setup_wm.exe and C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe, as well as the Windows Media Player program itself. Which is basically just four red ticks next to the programs listed on my ZoneAlarm Program Control. As it seems to me that setup_wm.exe is needed for Windows Media Player to automatically update itself, I am not quite sure whether this is fine, or not. I've got my Windows Updates set to the recommended settings, in which important updates are automatically received and downloaded onto my PC without prompting. Do these updates apply to Windows Media Player as well, or do I have to do them manually, by myself? And if so, how to I go about doing this? Any recommendations for what sort of access I should allow for these files will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Ooh, yeah. Forgot to mention this - I've got version of Windows Media Player installed.

Edited by cassykins, 22 July 2005 - 09:51 PM.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, there are two players in most systems and they like to call home alot. Looking for updates, looking for codecs, or just reporting activity. I'm not on a XP machine right now but you can go into Tools, Options, or some such and set it not to look for updates every time you log on, maybe once a week or so. Another thing is use the File, Open or Close button so you won't be restarting the player when you use it.