Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98SE-shutdown problems

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
System had been running fine over the past year. Nothing new added or subtracted. All of a sudden, at shutdown, you received either a screen with lots of lines or a blue screen with an error message but with missing letters. By guessing, I believe it says fatal exception error, something to do with vxd. Although the video works without problems in all programs, still thought the video card might be at fault. I reinstalled the driver but that did not cure the problem. The system will not shut down and you have to power off which gets you the scandisk procedure at the next boot up. I imported a reg back up file but that did not cure the problem The system shuts down correctly in safe mode. Any suggestions on what to try would be appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Absolutely, this is one for System File Checker, go to Start>Run, type in sfc, hit OK. It will tell you if a file is defective, but it won't tell you if a file is missing. There is a file called shutdown.exe (please correct me if I'm wrong) in the system and it may be corrupt.

BTW a vxd is a virtual device driver, and they are repaired by sfc.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks for the reminder on sfc. I did run it and it found a problem which is supposedly fixed. I still have the shut down problem; blue screen, scrambled letters. Does this mean a clean reinstall will be required?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a look here
Shutdown 98
and here
Shutdown 98 -2
The second may or may not help since it has been running ok