Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RDRAM problem run in

• Please log in to reply

bonjour17

bonjour17

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 640MB RDRAM and I wanted to add more RAM to help games run smoother. I found a stick of 256MB RDRAM 711-45 ECC for cheap and bought it. I put it in where a stick of 64 used to be and the computer starts to a black, blank screen and makes a "beeping"/"buzzing" warning noise a few times and than nothing. I thought it might have something to do with it being ECC RAM, but idk. I read that the fact of RAM being ECC doesn't really hert compatibility, but I am a novice in computer stuff. Some :tazz:?

~Dell Dem. 8100 Win XP
Intel Pent. 4 CPU 1400MHz Processor
1.40GHz Maxator
640MB RDRAM
256Mb GeForce FX 5200

Edited by bonjour17, 23 July 2005 - 01:41 AM.

Advertisements

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It is most likely because rdram has to be installed in pairs. Its kind of a pain in the butt and gets expensive.

Oh yeah, and I have the same exact dell system as you have.

Edited by chingwithbling, 23 July 2005 - 01:53 AM.

mcfart01

mcfart01

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
i have the same pc extacly its true u have to buy memory of the same kind wit 2 slot like a 512mb u have to get like 256 each total 512mb

bonjour17

bonjour17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bah. Thanks guys. Ill look on ebay or something for another Samsung 256. Does it matter if it is just another 256 or do I have to match with the ECC kind I have here?
All I see on ebay here is the PC800-45 ECC. The stick I have is PC711-45 ECC. Will they still mate well?

Edited by bonjour17, 23 July 2005 - 12:00 PM.