Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Page File

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I was wondering, is it an ok thing to clear the page file at shut down?

One security software that I have give me this option.

If is it safe and ok to do, can you also tell me the risks as well please.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U dont need a 3rd party software to that; Windows does it by default.
To check whether Windows setting for clearing pagefile is enabled, follow the steps below:
1) Open Regedit
2) Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
3) Check if the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown is 1, which means it is enabled in Windows.

Clearing pagefile at shutdown is just a security feature, it is useful if u have multiple people using the same PC.
Some people complain that turning this feature on, slows down the shutdown process.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: Thank you mate.

Just wondering something else, to serve my memory with this right, the page file acts kinda like a RAM correct?

If so or if not, what does it hold in the page file? (what type of information)

I rather use a 3rd party because of the fact being that it is for me more safer then going into the reg and doing it.

I would only go into the reg to set restrictions, not that other type of thing cause I dont want to have to re-do my computer if I do something incorrect in the registry.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Pagefile is an extension to the RAM, but it is stored on ur hardisk.
The information is completely in binary, so it takes a big expert to recognize it.
I was not asking u to make any changes to ur Registry, but just asking u to check if its already enabled in Windows or not.
Caution: Turning this feature on, may slow down ur shutdown process.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: ;) ;) :help: Yes it is enabled thank you heaps for refreashing my memery. I have mine enabled. :help: :help: :yeah: :yeah:

Edited by Tony_1983, 23 July 2005 - 05:52 AM.