Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA DRIVE RECOVERY

• Please log in to reply

HappySurfer

HappySurfer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Dell 4600 computer (WinXP Home) with both SATA and EIDE slots.
I want to boot to the EIDE hard drive and have the SATA hard drive load as a secondary drive. I need to do some data recover on SATA drive.
SATA drive died on my other Dell 8400 due to my attempts to remove a malware/spyware thingy.

During the AdAware SE scan, she locked up and no longer boots. Grrrr!

The SATA drive was the primary in my Dell Dimentia 8400 computer running
Windows XP Home Edition.

All I want is to make it a secondary and recover the data before reinstalling the
Dell original install from the hidden partition that Dell puts on the drives.

I do have instructions on using the Recovery Console and the Repair Installation, but am a bit leery of using either until I first try to get my data off this drive.

This other Dell I am on now, only has an IDE drive, BUT it has the controller for SATA.
Trouble is that the BIOS will not allow the SATA drive (Maxtor Diamondmax 9 plus 160GB) to be a SECONDARY drive
to the IDE as primary. HOW ANNOYING!

Dell's Tech support was absolutely useless.

I spent 2 hours online chatting with them yesterday - 5-10 minutes between responses from the level zero tech on the other end (LOL!)

My best shot is to buy the $24.95 SATA to IDE adapter and make the "bad" drive into a secondary, hopefully. (You can't do it just via the BIOS on a Dell)

OR, what about this idea - go out and buy another SATA drive and install THAT as the primary on the Dell, and this dead one with all my precious data, as a SECONDARY SATA drive? Supposedly it is automatic which one is master and slave but who knows! MAYBE that could work....

I am just not sure if I can install XP on a fresh SATA drive. All I have is the DELL
XP Home install CD and a copy of XP Home UPGRADE that I bought for an
older Dell laptop here...

Does anyone know if that might goive me access to the data on this messed up SATA drive?

I can access the SATA drive only through the F12 Boot and test utility diagnostics.
Most of the tests work, BUT the Confidence test fails as does the verify test, as follows:
Error Code 0F00 : 1A44
Message Block 543070 Uncorrectable Error or MEDIA IS WRITE PROTECTED.
Same for blocks 543072, 543075 etc. etc.

I suspect this is probably not a huge problem. What about using
a SATA to IDE converter for making this one a slave to the IDE drive?

Can anyone advise?? THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!

I have access to e-mail still, via this other working Dell Dimentia 4600 computer.

Advertisements