Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chckdsk problem

• Please log in to reply

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's my problem. One day I turned on my computer, chckdsk wanted to scan my C: drive, my windows drive, didn't know why, since I turned off my comp perfectly fine. But anyway, I let it, but the problem was, it stuck on 0% scan. So everytime my comp boots up, it wanna scan C: first, but get stuck at 0% and never moves, I've tried waiting for ages, and scanned my drive in Windows, but nothing works, it still wanna scan my drive on boot, but can't. What is the problem here? Thank you for any assistance.

Advertisements

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh, some additional information. I've installed avast antivirus, and it was after a session of boot up virus scan, that this problem appeared.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow these steps:
(Note: I have used a variable x, which is the drive letter(s) for which chkdsk performs scan on boot)

1) Open cmd.
2) Type fsutil dirty query x:. Press Enter
3) If it says "Volume X: is dirty", run a manual chkdsk x: /f scan at that instant.

Reboot after u have followed the above steps for all x:

Edited by darth_ash, 23 July 2005 - 06:35 AM.

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Followed your steps above, and here's what happened. It said C: was damaged or dirty, I got norwegian windows so I'm not sure if damaged as it says here, would mean dirty in an english windows, anyhow, I then ran your command, it said it could not lock the drive, because the volume was in use by another process, then I got the question if I would check my drive on next start up, I pressed yes, I rebooted, and chkdsk started, and scanned C: fine ;) but here's what's weird, when it was done, and everything was fine with C:, chckdsk wanted to scan C: again, 30 seconds after the last scan, and locked itself at 0%, as before :tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and tell me the value of BootExecute string

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here's the BootExecute string: autocheck autochk *

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Temporarily change that value to autocheck autochk /k:c *
Afterwards repeat the steps in Post#3 again, but instead of chkdsk c: /f try chkdsk x: /f /x.
(Note:The extra "/x" switch.)

After the above steps, change the registry value(BootExecute) back to autocheck autochk * no matter whether the above steps succeed or fail.

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Did what you said, when I now ran the fsutil dirty query C:, my C: drive was NOT dirty/damaged. Repeated everything in post 3, and the chkdsk scan that stopped at 0% was gone :tazz:

Changed back the BootExecute string, but will it now return?
What might have caused this? I'm a bit curious ;)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U will have to change it back. Otherwise, if all anytime u get a genuine problem with C:, chkdsk wont be run for C:.

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah I changed it back to autocheck autochk *
But will this mean I will HAVE to skip the chkdsk everytime I boot my comp? Because I can't tell the difference between the chkdsk that scan my drive from the one that locks up at 0%

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
After changing the value back, reboot and see if the problem persists.
How can u tell which one is going to lock up, b4 u allow it to scan?

StoneSoul

StoneSoul

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Problem is still there :tazz: I reboot, scan stops at 0% and never moves. This is a big problem, if I ever get a genuine problem with that drive, and it wanna scan it, I'm gonna think it's the one that locks up, and I skip it. Frustrating....

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Maybe ur disk has some physical errors.
Run chkdsk /r from the WinXp Recovery Console to check for physical errors
(Note the /r switch)