Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Launch toolbar & Desktop Problms

• Please log in to reply

gamecockgirl01

gamecockgirl01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:

I hate computers...lol

Windows XP

I was having serious adware/spyware problems and was following the preliminary steps to posting a hjt log found on these forums.

After running Cleanup and rebooting, I immediately encountered major desktop problems, which I'll explain as best as I can and pray for some help, hoping that it's something easy that I'm overlooking....

First, the "Quick Launch" toolbar at the bottom of the screen is now gray, and not blue. It does not contain the Windows "Start" button either. All of the icons on the desktop seem to be "highlighted", meaning that there appears to be white shading behind the icons themselves, while the icon names are highlighted in a deep blue.
Also, when I push the "Windows" key on my keyboard, the Start Menu appears, but the only things showing are the "Log Off" and "Turn off Computer" and "All Programs" buttons, everything else is blank, although the box is the normal size.
Also, the Internet Explorer bar at the top shows now icons at all, and only has a Back, Search, Fvorites and Media buttons (buttons w/ no icons)

Second, I cannot run most applications from my desktop. Adaware, Spybot, and even Notepad give me the following message when I try to open. "...application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may correct." When I reinstall, I get the same message. Even tried a Windows Update online and got an error message.

Finally, as if that is not enough, when I open folders, in My Computer for example, I get no icons, only file names (spaced out as if the icons are there, just unseen), with no suffixes.

I have no idea where to start, other than to say that I don't think it is a hardware problem, as there are no display problems whatsoever online. I don't know if MSCONFIG would help, but, since I don't have a Run button on the Start Menu, I can't run it (and I don't know how from the command prompt).

I don't know if the malware knew I was coming after it, and sabotaged my computer or what, but I would appreciate any help.

Also, sorry if posted in the wrong place, not sure if this is a software or malware problem.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I hope you have your XP cd.
Repair Install XP.

Johanna

gamecockgirl01

gamecockgirl01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That did it, thanks Johanna.

Now on to tackle the spyware.

Thanks again.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Glad to hear you fixed it. Thanks for posting back. :-)

Johanna