Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound card crashes system

• Please log in to reply

dob

dob

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hii ive got a packard bell easy one silver laptop and when i try to install the sound card drivers it crashes. when i try and install xp it locks up when installing system devices, and on m.e. when i try to update the sound drivers through windows it locks up. anyone know what i can do?

Edited by dob, 23 July 2005 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Do you have any Anti-Virus and/or spyware programs running - try closing. You probably should closeall Windows programs.

Run Task Manager to see what all you have running.

That is an intallation request that we all ignor.

Jack123

dob

dob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
managed to install xp by disabling the soundcard in the bios then installed fine straight away. turned it back on in bios, xp boots up then says found new hardware: sis 7018 windows is installing then locks up. turned soundcard off, installed the drivers for it then turned it back on, xp boots but crashes as soon as it tries to play a sound. it seems like everytime the computer tries to communicate with the soundcard it causes it to freeze. im guessing since its a laptop the soundcard cant be changed as its just a series of chips am i right? so im just going to have to have it permanently disabled? was thinking of cutting the ends of a set of earphones, soldering the cable to the laptop speakers and running it through to the back of the laptop, then plugging the headphone jack into a usb sound card, anybody have any better less crazy ideas?

ps forgot to mention, ran task manager before it tries to install the soundcard and locks up, and the cpu usage goes to 100% for a while before it crashes, dont know if this means anything?

Edited by dob, 24 July 2005 - 04:40 PM.