Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

user accounts

• Please log in to reply

deleted

deleted

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I just installed a larger hard drive and controller card and am setting up the computer.I'm setting up user accounts for each member of the family.My question is,is there a way for all users to use programs like ms works suite and office pro without having to install them in each user account?
Windows xp sp2
Dell dimension xps T600r
P3
I would like to install a 800 mhz cpu,the max My system will accept,is this possible?

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Just login as administrator, and install it there since you have windows XP.

Example: Your login has Administrations rights, then install it on your login.

The other users will/should be still able to use it.

Edited by Tony_1983, 23 July 2005 - 10:11 AM.

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I installed the programs when I was the only account,but when I open any of the programs in one of the other accounts windows installer starts installing office pro 2k,which it can't without the cd in the player.After clicking cancel a few times the program finally opens.Is this normal?It's not the way I'd like for it to work.Is there fix for this?

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hmmm, that's kinda bizarre..here's something to try:

Manually modify the links to insert what works into the kids menus.

Explorer -> Documents and Settings

Drag and drop (copy, not move) the working link(s) from the Administrator Start Menu (or whichever account they work on) into the Start Menu for "All users".

Hope this helps!
Be well, SD

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I don't understand the steps you're suggesting,but wouldn't it be easier to just install into each account?I've been looking in ms knowledge base but so far have not found any help.

Edited by deleted, 23 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I would agree, and it should be the case for Office, however, not all installers give you the option of "Just Me" or "Other Users". I don't use Office much in a multi profile environment, but I have not seen what you are describing. What it seems like is the shortcut/links in the program list for the other users on the machine are pointing to the wrong location (just guessing here). All the links you see when clicking start and all programs are location in a folder called Documents and Settings. If you use Windows Explorer to view this folder, you will see a list of subfolders named to reflect the users you have on that machine. You will also see All Users, Default Users, and possibly Admin. In each of these subfolders is a further subfolder call Start Menu and then Program Files. I've attached a screenshot.

When you log in to XP, your Programs list is created from:
a) contents of All Users
b) contents of user logging in

So what I'm saying is that you can take the links from your account (the one where Office is working) and copy them to All Users. You can then delete the ones that are currently in All Users, and Office *should* work for you.

Anyone else following this thread with more experience with Office in multiprofile than I have, please feel free to jump in...

Be well, SD[attachment=2507:attachment]

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw,

Office is the exception to the rule--most programs will install to all users, or give you an option

When you install office to one profile, the application is available to all, but setup is not complete for all....each user has user-specific settings--thus the need for a quick CD check....

this no longer is required in office 2003....cannot recall if office xp exhibits this behavior.

When I was using office 2000, I often copied the disc to the harddrive and installed from there to get around this problem...that way, when other profiles were created, they checked the install files on the drive.

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay,so I guess the solution is to install to the hard drive because when I try something in ms works suite it trys to install office 2k.
Thanks for the replys and help.
I'll let you know the results,it'll be later on tonight when I try this.
I didn't find windows explorer in my start list as it was in 98SE.

Edited by deleted, 23 July 2005 - 04:50 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Many humble apologies deleted for leading you down the garden path. My fault for assuming WinXP and not asking to be sure. Gerryf has you on the right track now.

Be well, SD

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
SD, I do have xp,I was saying that windows explorer is not on the start menu in xp as it was in 98se.I was just trying to figure out how you got to explorer.
sorry for misleading you.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Ahhh, hokee, kewl, no sweat and don't mind me, aparently I'm a moron today. Must be the heat here in Ontario. You did indeed mention XP in your original post. Time for new glasses for me I suppose... Yes, moved in XP to Accessories or you can simply right click on the start button and select explore from there.

Be well, SD

Edited by SoccerDad, 23 July 2005 - 06:49 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy SoccerDad!

Just a quick question and an equally quick observation.

Have you let the "Installer" run it's course without clicking cancel?

When I installed MS Office 2000 on my machine (running XP Home), each user account that tried to use the application for the first time experienced the same event as you are describing. However...it turned out (in our case anyway) that each application in Office 2000 needs to run a short configuration install when it is first opened in a new profile. When left to finish, the application opened normally and we haven't seen this "Installer Window" again.

I should add that we were never prompted for the cd....

Hope this is also the case with your machine.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 July 2005 - 07:20 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hey wannabe1! Thanx for jumping in. It's actually deleted who is having the issue, but you and gerryf have given mucho better advice on this one than I. I only use Access in Office (I run Linux, so OpenOffice works dandy for my needs) and I have a single account machine on my XP side, so I was stumbling a bit on this one.

Deleted: gerryf and wannabe1 have got you on the right track on this one, so following their lead should solve the issue.

Be well all,
SD

deleted

deleted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Okay all is well now.I changed all accounts to administrator and clicked microsoft works with the office cd in and it installed or whatever and and then I changed the kids back to the other setting(I can't think of it now) and all works as it should.
Thanks to all of you that gave advice on this one,you were all helpfull.
SD it's hot in SC too,good excuse for staying inside and finshing up all the installs after changing hard drives.
Good things to all of you.
and again,
THANKS
:tazz:

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

SD it's hot in SC too,good excuse for staying inside and finshing up all the installs after changing hard drives.

View Post

Glad things worked out for you and yes, great idea in this bloody heat. God's gifts to mankind are beer and central air! :tazz:

Hava great remaining weekend!
Be well, SD