Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Windows Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I thought that it was going to be called WIndows Longhorn???? :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Longhorn was the code name used by Microsoft internally. Just as Windows XP was called Whistler. Windows Vista will be the official name (took them 8 months to decide). So what to you think of the name?

raanank

raanank

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hmm... "Vista," huh? Sounds catchy. I hope it will be 64 bit and 32 bit compatible. Does anyone know? And please Microsoft- MAKE YOUR WINDOWS SEARCH FREAKIN FASTER! (learn something from Apple and Google!) That's my 2 cents.

raanank

raanank

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey, remember that Longhorn (now Vista) was non existant until August 2001. Microsoft previously said "Blackcomb" (codename, of course) would be the next version of Windows- available in client and server versions. But come August 2001, Microsoft named Longhorn to be an intermediate steping stone for the OS. Now, Blackcomb will be for servers only.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Sounds, ok... jsut need to get ued to the name.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
from what i have heard (and seen) its pretty much like windows xp with a make-over. does anyone know whats special about it?

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
My opinion is that windows XP is stable enough. The only issue that comes to mind is 64-bit. Somebody told me that 64-bit version of XP has problems with drivers. dunno..

probably could perfect for that though. Don't think that would be very helpful for a couple of years though. hmmm. I like windows.. even without service pack 2, it works fine. And I can't imagine anything other than minor improvements.

I guess here is my list of improvements / bugs that I have noticed in Windows :

1> When you are changing the protection status (readonly) and trying to delete it, you have to follow a strict sequence of things when doing so. It is so redundant and retarded I have forgotten by the time I run into that problem again. And then I hvae to go through the whole dang thing to find out the sequence.

2> There should be an advanced control panel feature that gives you easy menu-style access to some more advanced features.

3> Adjust memory settings for Windows/Internet Explorer, and NOTEPAD for crying out loud. I could easier load a 10MB or larger file in notepad better on Windows 98 than on any recent app. XP had poor memory management for a lot of programs of theirs. (e.g. I have 512MB and a 10MB document is chicken scratch to that)

Plus, Internet Explorer crashes simply because of lack of memory. Most people don't realize how good a browser IE is and how extensible it is. If you go in and tweak the amount of memory it uses, IE is so much more stable.

4> Another issue related to memory and resources.. Sometimes the program explore.exe will take up 99% of resources and basically slow my machine down to a halt. You can't shut down that explore.exe (it's the shell one that normally works in the background). Basically you just have to restart your computer.

it does this randomly (very rarely) but for no reason (completely unprovoked, I hadn't hit my computer in several hours)

Anyways, that said, I like my XP. It is very stable indeed and I always have 20 apps running at same time with no problems.

So that said, I can't at the moment say that at the moment it would be worth while to upgrade my OS, but then again, I don't really know anything about the OS as far as specs go.

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Guess it's a very beautiful name. Don't u guys think so?

raanank

raanank

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

You can't shut down that explore.exe (it's the shell one that normally works in the background). Basically you just have to restart your computer.

View Post

I'm pretty sure you can end explorer.exe To start it up again, start a new task through the task manager and type in "explorer" It will start up again! This is useful for frozen desktops or windows.

Dam Right

Dam Right

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I like the name, 'Vista' Can't wait till it comes out next year!! I wonder how much it is gonna cost...

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Guess it's a very beautiful name. Don't u guys think so?

View Post

*grin*, aparently Vista doesn't think so:
http://seattletimes....crovista23.html

Be well, SD

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
:tazz: What type of Security would Windows Vista have? ;)

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

My opinion is that windows XP is stable enough. The only issue that comes to mind is 64-bit. Somebody told me that 64-bit version of XP has problems with drivers. dunno..

they have to compile the source code to x86_64 bit instead of x86_32 bit

Edited by RogueComGeek, 25 July 2005 - 10:08 PM.

Rekzai

Rekzai

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm looking forward to it

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Longhorn was a better name they should have stuck with it, vista it sound so, well its not quite, it should have a good manly name like windows 2006 or 33.1 something good like that not steal a rubbishy name.

One feature i dont want to see is the death of the blue screen of death its going to be red now.