Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Windows Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

I'm looking forward to it

View Post

I am to man, I'm really looking forward to when its in NZ. I am soooo gonna get it.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Guess it's a very beautiful name. Don't u guys think so?

View Post

[bleep] yeah, the more I think of it the more I get used to it..... I think its better then the name Longhorn

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Longhorn was a better name they should have stuck with it, vista it sound so, well its not quite, it should have a good manly name like windows 2006 or 33.1 something good like that not steal a rubbishy name.

One feature i dont want to see is the death of the blue screen of death its going to be red now.

View Post

Dude, ya just need to get used to the name, think about it more... you might grow to love it :tazz:

Windows 2005 2006 etc is bornin, a little change is good ya know ;)

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
thanks for the tip on explore.exe

Not sure if that would work, you can add new applications/tasks but not processes.. it might make a difference.. I will try it though next time I have that problem.. Haven't had the problem in a couple of weeks..

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I think it looks cool, but it kind of reminds me of mac OS X...it just has that feel to it, with the really graphic icons. :tazz:

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Eh, the only thing that is really reminiscient of Mac OSX is the transparent windows...
Everything else, most everybody agrees is new...

Plus, I used to use Mac OSX on lab computers at my campus... Really royally sucked... Couldn't do a simple thing without the system crashing.. Bugs everywhere... goodgrief...

Thinks Vista will be a little more stable...

Edited by in_texas_dallas, 28 July 2005 - 08:30 PM.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
im not saying its copied from it. I just get the feels of a mac OS with the big folder icons. Im sure its customizable...and I probably shouldnt talk before I try it out...but im on vaccation and I dont want to mess up my laptop :tazz:

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
oh, no.. just as far as originality goes... that is.. the Transparrent windows in Vista are reminiscient of Mac OS.. taht's all I meant...

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Windows Vista Beta 1 is out now on the MSDN site but only available to subscribers.
Beta 2 will be out end of 2005 beginning of 2006 for the public.
It will be 32 bit and 64 bit compatible.
It looks better than XP and has a few more security fixes.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Anyone know the system requirements?
So far only thing I can really find is regarding the graphics card requirements.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_Vista

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Depends on whether you are looking for 32-bit or 64-bit...
Erm, for 32-bit Vista, The settings should be the same as XP (except for the graphics requirements)... This is because Vista reduces the number of OS images (not sure if I am saying that exactly right, but that gets the geist of it)

64-bit requirements, well requires a 64-bit processor.... So the requirements are pretty mute since 64-bit is pretty cutting edge

Woh

Woh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hmm Vista OK name.

w0h

jasper the rasper

jasper the rasper

• PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
An interesting read.

Treat Windows Vista As A Massive Security Patch
Microsoft's latest operating system, Vista offers a unique security value as it boasts the ability to better address a variety of exposures that existed in previous systems. But in providing the insight on security enhancements Microsoft is also providing hackers with a template to attack earlier OS versions.

To insure compatibility, Microsoft has to document and share the changes they have made with products and, unlike a patch; the changes in Vista are significant and comprehensive. Virus writers, however, can take that same documentation defining the patch fixes and use it to write viruses that exploit the exposures in unpatched systems.

The security changes made in Vista range from a large number that are known--such as creating a secure repository to eliminating the need for a user to work in administrator mode--to some not well known, like the aggressive move to a 64-bit base that should make it difficult, if not impossible, for entire classes of viruses to install and run.

http://www.securitypipeline.com/news

Microsoft may get sued over new Longhorn name
A VOLISH plan to name its forthcoming operating system Longhorn 'Vista' has been attacked by an outfit of the same name, which is planning to sue.
According to The Seattle Times, here, a business software and services company named Vista, founded in 1999 and located in Redmond, was not amused by Microsoft's choice of name
Founder John Wall of www.vista.com, who lives just around the corner from the VoleHill, said he was very miffed and has released his briefs to have a quiet word with Microsoft.
Vole hopes that it has got around a legal firefight by trademarking the words "Microsoft Vista" rather than just the word Vista. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

in_texas_dallas : My opinion is that windows XP is stable enough. The only issue that comes to mind is 64-bit. Somebody told me that 64-bit version of XP has problems with drivers. dunno..

All versions of XP run on 64-Bit systems. As for Windows Vista, I liked Longhorn better but that was never going to be the Release Name.

Did you hear about that guy who wants to sue Microsoft because he has trademarked the name Vista. How could he think he would ever win against the might of Microsoft, they could probably employ every lawyer in the world (I'm not joking either).

But all in all i could get used to it.

Tenbroya

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Actually, unless you have a '64-bit ' version installed, you have to download and install a free XP. I don't know specifics on installation.. But it's not automatic...

Plus, XP wasn't built specifically for 64-bit.. Probably Vista will be geared more towards this..