Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One down, two to go

• Please log in to reply

trriangle

trriangle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WinFs seems to be a really interesting filesystem imho. If you also wish to know more on it I suppose you give this a glance http://www.ntfs.com/

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
WinFS is no longer included in Vista....the performance was so bad that they stripped it out. There is speculation it will be released as an add-on later, but will it be an overlay or will it be a true File System?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what ive heard its not a true FS in its own right just an overlay/upgrade to NTFS and they have said they will add it later so it will be a nice upgrade in a service pack, hopefully this way they can release it for XP as well along with one of the last of the service packs.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it began life as a true file system, but then was cut back to an overlay, and now is an add-on

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Maybe some day they will bring it back as a true FS, but not today. What i would like is a proper new open source FS(other than FAT) for everyone to use Windows, Linux and Apple but i doubt it will ever happen that would be to good for the consumers.