Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1394 connection

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi All

Im back having reinstalled everything, loaded and updated Norton, and loaded SP2, with no problems at all, unitl now, maybe...

This certainly is a new one on me... I tries to cgo online about 15 mins ago, and failed. My IOL connection icon just greyed out when I double clicked on it. I couldnt even right click and select open, greyed out too. So I went to Network Connections and discovered that this was running, and apparently connected for 15 hours:

Lan or High Speed Internet 1394 connection
Connected, Firewalled
1394 Net Adaptor

I dont even know what this is, I knew it was there but never saw it doing anything before. My phone line was active too, i couldnt make calls, but it was a different sound, I think, than when Im connected to the net normally.

So I disabled 1394, and was able to connect as usual. Then just there now I enabled it, and the connection timer started but I dont know what I was connected to or what it's for. So of course I disabled it again.

Whats going on at all? Dont say Im going to have a huge phone bill....!

Kevin

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
1394 is a Firewire connection. Usually used for digital video camera's and other high speed interfaces. Windows XP lists it under network connections. Nothing to worry about.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Thanks for that. Funny though that i couldn't go online while that was "connected". Anyway thanks again!

KC