Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Black screen....

• Please log in to reply

nieco

nieco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I appologise for yet another Question regarding the Black screen problem..

I did go through a search on here and read all the other black screen replies, but they seem alot differant than the problem I am having. I purchased a Dell XPS laptop computer operating on Windows XP home Edition. For starters I will tell you I play online games, and every now and than I come across a problem where the Screen will Pixilate into alot of colored squares forcing me to manual shut down of the PC. Now trying to reboot the PC I push the power button and nothing Black screen, I hear/feel the CD rom being read, but thats about as fasr as the PC goes I think, the power light stays on, but the Screen remains black. I tried getting into safe mode, tried Re-booting several times, also made sure the Screen switch on the Laptop wasnt stuck down. Any advice on this problem would be great. I have all the software needed to perform any task u can think of. Also on another note... The computers Very hot when this Video error happens, So I moved a Fan in back of it. Not sure if that helps alot but thought may help determin a problem here, Thx alot -nick

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Almost certainly a fried video card....the pixelation and colored squares is agood indicator.

You should try to connect to an external monitor, but I would bet the videocard is gone....call Dell and have them send you another one. This laptop has a removable video"card" unlike most and it is generally pretty easy to replace (four screws as I recall).

This is a pretty common problem with that videocard....not happens to 50 percent of them, but happens alot....the nvidia geforce go 6800 pc-iexpress runs, VERY VERY hot