Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP SLOW STARTUP

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi all,

Just need some advice. I have just upgraded my friends computer

80g hard drive
1gig ddr 400 ram
128mb ddr graphics

All running fine the only problem is that windows startup is very slow. It seems to hang for a while when the splash xp screen first loads. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew Sexton

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Does the machine have a working network connection? Windows will hang a wee bit while setting up the network if there is a problem. You could also hit F8 on boot up and boot with a log file which may yield some clues. Next would be some software, good or bad, that is doing something (likely network action; keep an eye on the NIC or switch lites on boot for evidence of that) during boot and it either a) just takes a long time b) is struggling and timing out.

Hope this helps!
Be well, SD

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sounds like XP is having a hard time resolving hardware installation. This could be from an incorrect setting in the Bios or just a piece of hardware that is fairly old and XP's generic drivers are not quite up to the task or possibly some piece of hardware that's just not plugged in frimly enough.

I recently had a problem with slowness leaving the initial boot screen and all it turned out to be was my keyboard wasn't firmly plugged in. The system would eventually start and everything would be fine but the startup was terribly slow....I only mention this as to show the significance of such a minor detail.

If you can do a trial and error on some of the external hardware connected...say unplug that which you know is not needed for booting...and then retry booting and if improvements exist then you can narrow it down from there....If no improvement the maybe you should open case and make sure all IDE cables..etc. are firmly seated.

You mentioned you upgraded the memory so maybe it's as simple as not being seated properly...

Just some ideas

HTH