Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page cannot be displayed

• Please log in to reply

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Hi,

This one thread that kept popping up for me was the The one with the same title as mine :tazz: I was going to post on it, but then I realized every person has to start a new thread of their own problem

Recently, for the last 2 weeks a select few sites have come to a stop for me with the following message:
The page cannot be displayed ...Cannot find server or DNS Error

I just thought maybe it was my computer so I jumped on another one in my house and, yup, the same sites don't seem to work there either...

So, any suggestions what I can do about this Please?

Edited by Leena, 28 August 2005 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
DNS issues are always a pain due to the many reasons for failure. As a starting point, do you have any friends/family using the same ISP? If so, have them check the sites and see. Because you have tried on machines on the same network (your home network), they have to be classified as suspect for badware infection. You can also check how well your DNS is working locally by typing the following in a command prompt window (no quotes or brackets):

"nslookup <insert_site_name_here>"

If you get an answer, we'll have to look elsewhere. Additionally, if you do get a response, try punching the resulting IP address in the address bar of your browser. This will identify or eliminate any routing issues your ISP my be experienceing.

Keep us posted!
Be well, SD

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Hi SoccerDad .. thanks for the reply and help! ;)

Alright, I have done what you asked but its a no go. :tazz:

If I type in the IP address the front page of the sites will load, expect for the images, but thats about it. When I go to login in I get hit with the Page cannot be displayed .... etc...

And, yes I do have friends/family using the same ISP and it seems to be working fine for them.

Anymore suggestions, please?

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Not a problem Leena; DNS is one of my favourite to troubleshoot!

Hokee, first off, we really should have a look at the state of crapware on your machine before going any further. The results will give us an idea of which way to head (either DNS issue itself, or time for a malware thread to be created where I will hand you off to one of the experts there). Our next steps:

1) Command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns
2) Verify no proxies are being used via config (malware can insert them, but we'll look at that shortly): Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings
Make sure nothing is checked there.
3) Install this tool, but don't run yet: http://download.ewid...ewido-setup.exe
Boot into safe mode (hit F8 repeatedly on boot until you are presented with a menu, then select safe mode). Run the tool (it may take some time) and remove what it finds.
4) Reboot and try the sites

Lemme know!
Be well, SD

P.S. Be sure to read this post as well:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by SoccerDad, 23 July 2005 - 05:50 PM.

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Hi SoccerDad,

Okay first off I know I don’t have malware issues since all the computers have been checked, and yes, I’ve used hijackthis ....

Alright, Ill get to your instructions tomorrow and run through the process.
Thanks for sticking around to help me!!!!

Edited by Leena, 24 July 2005 - 09:39 AM.

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Alright, I did what you suggested and everything came back good.

Anymore suggestions, please? :tazz:

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hiya Leena!

Hokee, kewl...so for the time being, we can go on the assumption that your issue is not crapware related. Next step then is to get some information to me about your setup. Please post back the following:

1) Connection type: cable, dsl, modem, etc. and ISP
2) Firewall: type, make & model
3) General network setup: how many machines, how are they connected, etc.
4) Operating system (I'm assuming XP as that is thread we're in ;-) SP2 installed?)
5) NIC card settings

This info will allow me to get my head around what your setup is and will hopefully save some time in troubleshooting....

cya, SD

P.S. Also, let's try a different browser and see what happens (I have often seen IE do things that others don't). Give Firefox a try. If you don't already have it, it can be grabbed here:
http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

Edited by SoccerDad, 24 July 2005 - 10:20 AM.

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Hi,

Okay this is what I have:

{ Edited out }

Yes, Ive tired other browsers and all I get are blank pages or "Page cannot be displayed"...

Hopfully this will help you out! Thanks for the contiuned help, greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Leena, 27 July 2005 - 04:36 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hey Leena! No probs, happy to help (*grin* and a fellow Canucky to boot)!

Couple more things: what make and model of wireless router do you have? I'm assuming it is connected to your cable modem on the WAN side? You also mention a total of 4 computers on your network; are they all showing the same symptoms? On your machines, are all the wireless NICs set to obtain DNS and IP automatically? I'm also assuming that your router gets it's information via DHCP from cable? Looking at the status of your wireless NIC, support, what does it have for DNS IP's?

ttysoon, SD

P.S. I know you don't know me, but if you'd like, you could put a disposable password on your router and PM me your IP and User/Pass and I could take a look directly. No probs if you're not comfortable with that.

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts
Hi,
Alright, I’m not good with all the technical parts of the computers as I’m use to handling and cleaning out computer problems without really going into details, so Ill try my best in answering your questions.

I’m going to have to look up the model of the router, but all I know is the router was replaced recently, before the problem, since the old one use to knock out the internet connection every so often. Yes, it is connected. Yes, 2 computers and 2 laptops are having the same problems.
But, if I were to take my laptop to a friend’s house and use the signal from there my laptops will allow the sites to work... so...
Obtain DNS and IP automatically? Yes.
Err, the last 2 questions :tazz: Sorry I'm a pc 'duh' when it comes to this part, lol ... since I’m not the one that sets up pcs in my home ...

Oh, one more thing, since I’m coming up to 3 weeks now with this problem ... some where in the week and half the site just started working on its own, but it was just for a couple of hours till it stopped again ... so I’m not sure if that helps but ...

Last part, I don't think I can.

Thanks for the continued help!

Edited by Leena, 24 July 2005 - 05:37 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

But, if I were to take my laptop to a friend’s house and use the signal from there my laptops will allow the sites to work... so...

In this case you are using your friends wireless, but not yours? This friend is using same ISP?

At this point, it is critical that you can get me the make and model of your router. I will need to review the documentation for same to look for clues. Additionally, it would be very helpful to have the output from ipconfig. You can either:

a) ipconfig in a dos window and cut and paste the results
b) the same except take a screenshot

If you are not comfortable with posting that info on a public forum, you can PM me.

ttysoon, SD

Maiestas

Maiestas

eh...

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,481 posts

In this case you are using your friends wireless, but not yours? This friend is using same ISP?

Err, no :tazz: I have wireless on my laptop ...but what I meant was that when I wanted to check to see if there was something wrong with the laptop itself or the connection .. I went over to check if the same problem was happening ... and it wasn't so I knew it wasn't my laptop or the computers itself but maybe the connection or something ...

Edited by Leena, 24 July 2005 - 05:52 PM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Flip the router over and see if there is a make and model stenciled there.

ttysoon, SD