Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Antivirus 2005 infected?

• Please log in to reply

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello again. :D

OK, so I recently bought the latest Norton Antivirus and Internet Security package online to deal with some worm or other the computer had been infected with. And initially, it deleted tens of different trojans/worms etc. But a new problem has developed in the last week. From my contact with Dell(who made my computer) I believe Norton has been infected with a virus. I'm not sure, but...

Basically, I can't access Norton at all, Antivirus or Internet Security - I've had to disable them from startup because they slow down the computer considerably. My problem is that upon starting Microsoft Word and Excel, the program automatically requests a virus scan and for the next 5 or 10 minutes, it effectively stalls while the scan is requested... and naturally, it fails. Various error messages come yp. This happens every time I try to open a document, and I work on my computer - I really can't function like that. Luckily, I have sporadic use of a laptop, but still, I'd appreciate if anybody could advise me on how to apprehend the problem.

I've tried System Restore... but that doesn't work either. Each attempt I've made so far has resulted in "Restore Incomplete - No changes have been made."

Help me please. <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try completely uninstalling Norton, and then reinstalling it. Unfortunately, this is a pretty common problem with Norton.

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Oh, sorry I hadn't mentioned it. The uninstall file is also corrupted - the process won't work. I can't uninstall or reinstall. I can't even replace the directory with those from another computer because the files are constantly in use. Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks. <_<

keywestus

keywestus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Go to the Symantec site: http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=
PASTE THIS LINK. This should help to remove NIS 2005. <_<

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks! That solved it perfectly! <_<

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Incidentally, I'm going to need another antivirus program. I have the same version of Norton on another computer, so I can copy it if necessary, however I'd be wary of this happening again. Could anyone recommend another (preferrably free) virus scanner that provides the same functions as Norton does?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
AVG <_<

http://www.grisoft.c...s_dwnl_free.php