Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office 2000 will not save to floppy

• Please log in to reply

ljdavis27

ljdavis27

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Trying to save word, excel, access, etc., files to a floppy causes my computer (Windows 2000 SP4 on a Dell GX110) to freeze and I have to manually reboot.

Here's what I've done with no results:
- installed a new floppy drive
- updated windows, antivirus, & office
- updated floppy drivers
- uninstalled/reinstalled the entire office package

Saving image files, wordpad/notepad, etc. causes no problems. Only MS Office apps freeze while saving. Saving to harddrive and flashdrive works fine. I have also tried different floppy disks with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisements

coasttech

coasttech

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Do you have Norton AV installed, or any other virus fighting program?

Edited by coasttech, 24 July 2005 - 06:29 PM.

ljdavis27

ljdavis27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm running Norton Antivirus 2005 and have been keeping it up to date. I have done a full system virus scan as well and came up clean. Thanks.

coasttech

coasttech

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Norton will scan the floppy every time you save or open a doc in word. I would suggest to disable auto protect and see if that works. If it does not (or does) go into the Norton preferences and tell it to stop scanning floppies. There might also be a setting in word for it to stop scanning… not sure.

It could be it is just hanging when it starts to scan.

ljdavis27

ljdavis27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I disabled auto-protect and that didn't help. I disabled floppy scanning and that didn't help, either. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

coasttech

coasttech

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I just sourced out some similar problems that other people of had with there AV program, and it was the root of it. If you are desperately to fix this I would uninstall Norton all together then see if it happens. If it does …lol get the latest version of office!

One similar problem

Edited by coasttech, 26 July 2005 - 10:55 AM.

Alain K

Alain K

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The same problem was brought to my attention a couple of days ago. Win 2k Pro running Office 2k which was upgraded to Office XP, the freezing would happen in both versions of Word. Just tried to uninstall norton and that didn't help. What i've noticed is that I can load the doc from the floppy and then save it right away. If i try to save it a second time Word freezes. Seems like an O/S issue :tazz: ???

urbanmw

urbanmw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This issue has popped up at my job location too. Clients on 2 diffrent models of IBM's have had this issue. They can save to their personal drive fine but cant save to a floppy. Causes Word to lock up forcing a hard boot. Looking for a resolution too, I reloaded one PC and it appears to be doing OK, but I refuse to reload 100+ PC's to fix this, though it has only been reported by 3 people so far.

The OS is Win2000 and the AV is Trend Micro. It is occuring on MS Office 2000 SP1 and SP3.

I'm wondering if some hotfix or MS update didn't cause this.

ljdavis27

ljdavis27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestions coasttech. Reinstalling Norton AV didn't help and Dell's solution is to reinstall the OS. I hate to have to do it but its the boss's computer so its got to be fixed!

brounds

brounds

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I found the problem. We are currently using WSUS for patch and critical updates. I noticed that after installing the recently released W2K Update Rollup 1 for W2K SP4 (KB891861) the problem with saving to the A drive caused a lockup in Word and Excel. After uninstalling this rollup from the OS it solved the problem. I guess MS has done it again. Hopefully they will release another fix for this rollup. :tazz:

Advertisements

PoitNarf

PoitNarf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I can confirm that this is indeed a problem with Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000. At the college I work at we had to uninstall the Update Rollup from every single 2000 machine on multiple campuses. Luckily we were able to do this via an active directory policy script, but it still was a major pain getting this "patch" off of 500+ computers. And ofcourse if you call MS about this, they'll charge you for support since Windows 2000 is now out of it's initial support phase.

brounds

brounds

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can you send me the script for this? I found that the WSUS installation did not support rollback for this rollup. We were manually uninstalling on a case-by-case basis.

Alain K

Alain K

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I found the problem.  We are currently using WSUS for patch and critical updates.  I noticed that after installing the recently released W2K Update Rollup 1 for W2K SP4 (KB891861) the problem with saving to the A drive caused a lockup in Word and Excel.  After uninstalling this rollup from the OS it solved the problem.  I guess MS has done it again.  Hopefully they will release another fix for this rollup. :tazz:

View Post

Works like a charm!! ;) :)

PoitNarf

PoitNarf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
brounds,

I can't find where my coworker placed the script, but I do know it was a simple vbscript that just detected if the update rollup was installed, and if it was it would simply run the uninstaller for it located at "C:\WINNT\$NtUninstall******$\spuninst\spuninst.exe". I forget the exact path, but I'm pretty sure that it contained "UpdateRollup" in there somewhere.

brounds

brounds

• Pip
  • 5 posts
PoitNarf,

Thanks for the reply. If you find the VB script I'm sure :tazz: alot of us would appreicate it. In the meantime I'll look into what you 've provided.