Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2000 will not save to floppy

• Please log in to reply

ljdavis27

ljdavis27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much. Uninstalled rollup and floppy drive works fine.

Advertisements

PoitNarf

PoitNarf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I found the script. We put it in a startup policy for all of the computers in the domain. I take no responsibility of whatever damage this may cause!

'Uninstall script for Security rollup 1 for windows 2000 sp4
'v1.0 7/20/05
'cjg 

On Error Resume Next
Dim FileSys
Dim WshShell,RegKey, installed, Result
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set FileSys = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

strComputer = "."
Set objRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & _ 
    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix\Update Rollup 1"
strValueName = "Comments"
objRegistry.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strValueName,strValue

'StrValue is a variable that stores the regestry value of the comments field
'This is a control to see if the regestry string is actually in the regestry
'if the string is in the regestry it will run the un installer... if it is not the script will quit

If IsNull(strValue) Then

wscript.quit(0)
Else

'this line reads the regestry  and assigns the path to a variable called regkey
RegKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix\Update Rollup 1\"
'Assigns the vallue of the regestry string installed to a variable installed
installed = WSHShell.RegRead (regkey & "Installed")
'the control to uninstall the update	
if installed = 1 then 
	WshShell.Run "c:\winnt\$NTupdateRollupPackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart" 
	else
	wscript.quit(0)

End If
End If

erikbert

erikbert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It looks like Micro$oft has recognized that the problem it is connected to Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4, but has not yet released a Hot fix.

However, they recommend retrieving the fastfat.sys from the uninstall directory and copping it over the copy in %systemroot%\system32\dllcache and %systemroot%\system32\drivers.

This seems to have worked in my organization.

Edited by erikbert, 01 August 2005 - 07:34 AM.

brounds

brounds

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, I saw that this am: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;891861

Fix has yet to be published. :tazz: ;)

PoitNarf

PoitNarf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It is good to know that they're going to reissue the update with this fix in it. Maybe they'll actually "test" it this time.

datakid

datakid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, this helped me too!

here is the MS page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

And the solution that worked for me was:
"Copy the Fastfat.sys file from the $NtUpdateRollupPackUninstall$ Update Rollup backup directory to the %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers directory."

sweet.

CFMS

CFMS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have seen the instructions from microsoft to remedy the error in Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4.

However I am puzzled by them - they do not seem complete.

I am not technical and need simple words of instruction, in glorious technicolour detail.

Can anyone help or should I just wait for microsoft to send their next "fix" out?

hitchingsm

hitchingsm

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have been having the same problems with 14 of the 100+ machines at our library, I will try to rollback the update, I have to do them manually due to hardware locks on 40 some public computers.
Thanks a lot for the info, I knew the update caused the problem, but was to dense to think to remove the update.
Thanks,

Maria

Pianoman

Pianoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Work for a small community college and had the same problem for the first two weeks of class. Thought teachers and students were going to kill us poor PC Tech's and I could not really blame them. :)

Anyway, thanks to this posting, I removed that wonderful rollup for W2K and all is working well now. Thanks to all who posted to this thread. :tazz:

Now I wonder when dear old Mircosoft is going to release that hotfix :)

Take care.

datakid

datakid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
be very careful of future updates too - we use SUS to distribute updates (so we don't have to download them 15+ times and use all our dl limit) and after I applied the fix, it came back again immediately post a new update.

Also - I recommend only replacing the fastfat.sys file from the rollback - it's really quite simple, and the update might actually have some good in other parts, so you don't want to loose those potentially positive aspects of the update.

So, basically, I'd document it locally somewhere as well, make sure all tech's know about it, and make sure all users report the bahviour immediately.

good luck

Edited by datakid, 14 September 2005 - 12:58 AM.

Advertisements

PoitNarf

PoitNarf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 – v2 was released yesterday and from the MS Knowledge base article about it, it supposedly fixed the floppy disk issue. Read more about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

Download link is here: Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 - v2

We're going to test it at work here first before we deploy it again. Nice to see Microsoft actually "testing" something before releasing it... :tazz:

brounds

brounds

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The "v2," or second version, of the pack tackles four problems encountered by Windows 2000 users after they installed the original bundle. There are additional glitches, but those will be resolved in individual fixes, Microsoft said in a posting to its Web site.

blahbede

blahbede

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks to everyone for the great info in this post!! This saved me a lot of time trying to figure out Microsoft's latest blunder.

PoitNarf - The script for uninstallation was especially helpful since I need to remove this update from a couple thousand computers across our organization. I tried it out and it works beautifully, only one problem though that I'm hoping you (or anyone) can help me with. The script will only run the uninstall routine when the computer is logged in as a user with admin rights on the system. Most of our end users don't have admin rights so you can see my problem. I'm not much of a scripter so I was wondering if anyone knows what I can add to that script to make it run the uninstall as another user with elevated priviledges.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

meester_french

meester_french

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the info. It will really help me out.

Edited by meester_french, 01 October 2005 - 07:47 PM.

whiteboy444

whiteboy444

• Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks a lot for posting the fix. i've been researching this problem for about 3-4 weeks and finally found the fix. thanks a lot. :tazz: