Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1995 Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS

• Please log in to reply

floridagurrl

floridagurrl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My 16 yr old grandson wants my old laptop, still in great shape, I've maxed the possible upgrades (40 mgs, 2G HD). There are 5 teens, from 13 to 18, a "blended" family. They have a modern pc in the home for all to use for internet access, games, whatever. He wants the laptop so he can do his homework without waiting in line, and also keep it in his own space so the other kids can't mess it up.

The laptop has all the original disks, manual, an interchangable CD/3.5 floppy with an exterior case (miserable old "dongle" style). It's running Win95 and Office 97. It's a P90, plays music CD's with a great sound and with headset, has Megahertz XJ2288 PCMCIA modem.

Of course, Toshiba no longer supports it, Microsoft doesn't support Win95, so I can't research what more "up to date" hardware/software we might be able to add. I thought of upgrading the OS to at least Win98 (have a legal disk), considered XP but am afraid the machine would explode :tazz: Has a free slot I (maybe) could use for a surplus Linksys wireless network card I have, if that wouldn't create a million conflicts, and I have an external Iomega CD/RW I'd like to add as well. I just don't know if adding/upgrading will create conflicts with the vitals that keep the laptop going. I've been making my living as software support for years, but know just enough about the hardware to be wary of messing with it.

He has to go home next week, and is going to take the laptop "as is" if we haven't found any info on upgrading it, but I'd really like him to have any improvements we can provide. Anyone out here know about bringing old stuff up to date??

All help gratefully received. ;)

Advertisements

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am a Toshiba notebook owner as well, a 2003 satellite actually. It performs great and I wondered if you have tried the "Peer to Peer" forum for notebooks for Toshiba. The main site is:
My Webpage

I have had very good success with other owners responding at this site this is the actual link to Peer to Peer and there is a General Site as well, you may wish to post at both, however, I generally have more success at the Peer to Peer.

My Webpage

Good luck! I hope that you get some responses.
BTW, I would want to be first in the line up to get my homework over with!!!!

Cheers, I really hope that your grandson can get the best out of the Toshiba!!
They are great notebooks!!!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

One suggestion I have would be to upgrade to win98se if possible (you're right about XP, it would cause the laptop to melt probably).
Then you can either link the laptop directly to to the desktop pc via ethernet cable (cross-over cable) or if they have broadband, use a broadband router & connect straight to that.

If you link straight to the pc, you can then use Microsofts internet connection sharing (ICS) to give the laptop internet access.

floridagurrl

floridagurrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Newbie Geek for pointing me to the notebook forum, and you Samm for your suggestion. This laptop was not network ready, so I don't know if newer network pc cards can be used without creating conflicts, or if we can find a compatible USB card so he can hook to the family's newer printer (for now he's going to be using an elderly Canon BJC1000 inkjet I have on hand).

We're also looking into finding a new battery .. don't know if that's possible, but the wonderful world of internet seems ready to help us out!! :tazz: ;)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, slight change of direction required here - I've just looked up the specs for the laptop!
You know I said previously that XP would kil the machine, right? Well, 98se will probably kill it as well. Theres a reason for it running win95...its simply not up to running anything above that. You may be able to install win98 on it but it will run like a arthritic slug I'm afraid.

The laptop does have one pcmcia port so you should be able to get a pcmcia network card for it. As for the usb printer...forgot it.
However, depending on how you connect it up, once the laptop is on the network, you should be able to access the printer while the printer is hooked up to another machine.

Another thing to consider is the battery. You can get new batteries for that laptop easily enough but they cost around $100. If you're not careful, you will end up spending more on parts (battery, nic card etc) than the laptop is actually worth.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Great stuff Samm, I am following this thread out of sheer interest as to what can happen to notebooks and find your knowledge and experience indeed an asset to owners of notebooks like myself who will now know what they will experience sometime down the road.

Regards

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for that Newbie geek! :tazz:

floridagurrl

floridagurrl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your research Samm. We left Win95, along with MSOffice97, an early Norton Utilities, and he decided he'd defer anything else he wanted to do. I sent him off with the BJC4000, which had previously (in 1997) been installed. Because we had the set of manuals, he can research a little himself, and he says he'll start checking into the forums from the family pc internet connection.

Newbie, it's surprising how long these machines can last. I only replaced the laptop in 2000, because I had clients whose software was too advanced for that laptop to handle. While I used it, it served me well. And since my grandson has played on my pcs since dos days (remember Wolfenstein??) he'll do ok.

Thanks for all your help guys. :tazz: