Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Optimal Virtual Memory size ?

• Please log in to reply

Dr Who

Dr Who

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hia I just about 10 minutes ago installed more RAM to 1 gig (2-512mbs) because the other day i got a message whilst playing stronghold 2 and Battlefield 2 that "virtual Memory minimum is too low" and i remember i read somewhere that each time its increased windows lags. I was woundering if there was a way to lower it since i got more RAM or is this automatically done ? Also what would the optimal size be ? and if anyone know's of a reliable software that clears the ram of unused things ? thanx.

P.S. I have set in msconfig, "ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1" this makes XP only use virtual memory when it is needed, right ?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
last first

it makes it use it more conservatively, but windows XP always uses virtual memory only when it needs to

There are many schools of thought on Virtual Memory settings, but when it comes to Windows XP, the best option is to let WINDOWS MANAGE it unless you know what you are doing.

To come up with an exact size, you would need to monitor your page file over a length of time during routine and not so routine tasks and then set an upper and lower limit.

Some people will recommend setting lower limit two and half times the size of your ram (2.5gb in your case) and setting the max at the amount of your harddrive....since windows will resize it as needed, it will not consume your whole drive. What that lower limit will do, though, is set aside a chuck of drive space that will be contiguous and unfragmented.

The problem with this is that this rule of thumb came about when 16mb was a lot of memory and harddrive space was expensive.

Such rules no longer apply. So...let windows handle it.

Dr Who

Dr Who

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK thanx for the advise, :tazz: