Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Firefox versus Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Hi Friends.
I was hesitant at first to download Mozilla Firefox but I like it A LOT.
Since over 72 million people have downloaded it, it must be PRETTY GOOD.

I kept my IE so I have a choice whether to connect to the Internet through
Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.

The first time I downloaded it, I was afraid maybe I shouldn't have (hadn't
asked hubby first!) :tazz: So I unistalled it...VERY SIMPLE PROCEDURE.
Just went to control panel and clicked on uninstall.

But I SOON re-installed it....I still don't like it as well for sending email because
I haven't figured out how to add COLOR and cutsie emotion animations
in my Yahoo emails, when I am going through Firefox.....so I email through IE.

I like the way History of websites and email accounts that have been visited,
do not even show and it deletes tempory Internet files with a quick click....

I think one of the things, though, that I like the very best is
when we log in here at GEEKS, it says....PASSWORD MANAGER,
DO YOU WANT YOUR PASSWORD REMEMBERED?

And by clicking on YES, I haven't had to re-log in when I check GEEKS through Mozilla.
If I go through IE, I have to log in every darn time! grrrrr ;)

Below is the download address....it is SAFE and avery good browser.

I feel it is a good idea to have two ways to connect to the Internet.
Keep IE and have Mozilla Firefox also...

Sincerely, Janie ;)

HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD ADDRESS....
Mozilla Firefox Download~It is FREE!!!!

Edited by fflowergirl, 23 July 2005 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

If you have already downloaded MOZILLA FIREFOX, how about sharing what you
feel are the benefits of having this browser over just having INTERNET EXPLORER.

I am sure that I, for one, will learn a lot from the information that you give.

Thanks, Janie :tazz:

Gon

Gon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's a few other Firefox tips which might help;
You can set a group of tabs as a homepage rather than just one site, open the sites you want, then go to Options>General>Use current pages.

The cookie handling is different, I get it to ask me for each one, so I don't end up with unwanted rogue cookies and spyware, and it will remember the choices and always allow/block them until you clear the exceptions list, or you may want to just accept all cookies and use a prog like Cookie Monster to clear them later.

If you click a WMV or rar and it starts showing a load of hash in the window rather than saving the file, check how the filetypes are handled under the download options.

You can set keywords and alter the name of any bookmarks by clicking the properties, for example, bookmark http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/ then press Ctrl+B, right click the GTG bookmark, and enter gtg as a keyword, then typing gtg in the address bar will go to the page without having to click the bookmark or type the url.

A similar feature lets you use a keyword search, you right click inside any search form such as the search forum here or the google or altavista search forms and can then do a web search by typing g whatever or av whatever in the address bar.

If you have GetRight or another download manager, then it can automatically catch any smutties with the click monitor, Or use the Flashgot extension which handles most DL managers. Alternatively if you don't have a DL manager, then the DownThemAll extension can quickly grab all the vids/pics from a page and lets you directly type a folder path instead of having to use the 'create new folder'.
http://www.flashgot.net/whats
http://downthemall.mozdev.org/

Also, I'd highly reccomend the AllInOne MouseGestures extension, it lets you do lots of useful things such as going back/forward/bookmark a page/open new tabs etc. by holding the right button and doing a certain movement or moving the scroll wheel. I can open the TA archive by just doing up, down, up.
http://perso.wanadoo...ensions-en.html

Finally, check out the bookmarklets and other useful stuff at http://www.squarefree.com/

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
firefox is a way better browser than internet explorer. in my opinion, IE is malware infested and slow.

Firefox, on the other hand, is a faster browser than any one i've seen and it's much, MUCH safer to use too.

Since downloading FF, i have never experienced download troubles, slow webpage loads etc.

Internet Explorer gave me nightmares with malware constantly entering my computer. After browsing around Geeks2Go and some other sites, i saw that millions of users recommend using firefox, safer and faster.

This is 100% true. I still keep IE 6 just in case though, but hardly use it since it costs me time, and alot of effort removing the malware it gets into my pc.

The thing I like most about FF is it's high speeds and it's download manager. In IE 6.0, downloading was an effort. Once you started a download, you could not pause it. With FF however, downloading a large file is no trouble at all, since you can pause it, and resume it at any time. ;)

There are also a few extensions available for FF which makes browsing and downloading much faster. Generally, FF has made browsing fun again! :tazz:

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I still keep IE 6 just in case though, but hardly use it since it costs me time, and alot of effort removing the malware it gets into my pc.

View Post

I'll second that; there are still truckloads of sites coded for IE that look like [bleep] or just don't work in FF. FF is my primary browser for both my Linux and XP installs and I love it.

Be well, SD

beekeys

beekeys

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i like FF, but FF dont alow my DAP, its always IE, rest everything ok with FF

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The only things I use IE for these days is 1) Some downloads (especially from Micro$oft) require the IE browser and 2) Yahoo Mail has a few features I like that are not yet available in the FireFox browser. Other than that...FireFox Rocks!!!!! :tazz:

Don't think I could get along without the speed, download management, and tabbed browsing I"ve become so dependent on. (Not to mention the security.)

wannabe1

Wells

Wells

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is that a question??? Comparing Aphrodite on the waves (Firefox) to a syphilitic 500 kg hag that drags every known infection on her, and will happily accept any new ones (m$ie), seems rather pointless...

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Do any of you have Yahoo email and use it with Mozilla Firefox?

On mine, I can only type my emails in basic black.
No Bold, No Underline, No Italics, No Color and No Emotion Animations.

On Internet Explorer I can type in all the above and not just in black. :tazz:
So that is sure an advantage to me......

If I store an email in Draft in IE and open it in Firefox to send, it is in
all kind of encoding....like here before we post our messages if we are
using the B- I- U- Font- Size- Color etc....

Any suggestions if there is a setting I could change?
Thanks, Janie

Wannabe...sounds like you have the same email complaint?
I guess the rest of you and ESPECALLY 'Wells' likes Firefox best! ;)

Edited by fflowergirl, 24 July 2005 - 02:04 PM.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
First off, I am a Firefox user. And a proud one.

Next, I don't agree with anybody's assesssment of IE... Internet Explorer is actually a better browser than Firefox, far better. IE is the most extensible browser there is. Just IE doesn't give people enough options to change things. The tabbed browsing and the lack of pop-up blocker is a hold back. You can write extensions for IE that would easily surpass Firefox..

that said, there are some annoying things with Firefox that tick me off sometimes.

just for example: Firefox will delete certain buttons otherwise obviously displayed in IE.
It will have problems letting you log into some websites.. I have to use IE to log into my employee only part of my employer's website. For no apparent reason..

The MAIn problem with IE, is that it doesn't give itself enough memory for all its extensions. This used to be a big problem on my old P III, 600MHz.

Now that I have a computer about 3 times faster, I don't have IE hang like it used to for no apparent reason.

Anyways, Firefox has these options now, maybe IE will be better in next version. I would definitely like to see tabbed browsers and a popupblocker as well as a tutorial on how to write extensions for IE.

If anybody has some info on whether there is a resource page that has info on modding IE, please let me know.. I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi All.
Texas Dallas wrote me a personal note that only Internet Explorer email allows
the color, bold, etc on Yahoo mail....Firefox doesn't, so I will stop trying to correct a setting! :tazz:

I have also discovered one more advantage to IE.

When reading email, I can't just minimize and then click on Mozilla to go on to another
website...I have to log completely out. (I like to minimize it, look up whatever I want or go to Geeks and go back to my email....can't do it.)

And by clicking on the big red X in the corner...that does NOT close out our email
account...we are STILL logged in.

That really surprized me because with IE, it logs me off.

Janie ;)

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Firefox is better, for one main reason, ITS NOT MADE BY MICRO$OFT

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
uh-oh a Microsoft Basher.

So just cause something is written by Microsoft it's bad.. :tazz:

Per chance, what operating system do you use.. ??

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I use linux. I hate microsoft because they steal ideas, Linux was the first 64Bit OS, and microsoft claim they were. Microsoft also claim that they first made a GUI OS, however, all lies. Linux was there way before microsoft even came together.

Edited by ratmilk, 26 July 2005 - 03:55 PM.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
umm, Microsoft doesn't claim that they made the first GUI. But Linux was far from the first either.

Believe it or not a company called Xerox made the first GUI.. And in fact all the modern computing perks and things like networking, sharing resources, and the likes was made back in the 80's by Xerox's dream team.. Guess who was given privy to this..... Apple... Apple was given privy to all of it. Do you see Apple as the #1 OS in the world with all these features.

Back then Apple didn't pursue a great deal of them. That far back, Apple's computers weren't powerful enough to handle a Graphical interface.

Microsoft became big because they made things popular and because they make something popular by giving it away free, FREE, FREE FREE>

I say that that many times so that you get the idea of why Microsoft is the BIGGEST OS out there.

Just take for example two browsers Internet Explorer and Opera. Opera(as far as I know) was the first tabbed browser and the the only one up to Firefox that was stable with all the extra features it had. Opera sold its opera and gave a free one with an annoying banner. Opera was at its time the BEST browser, capable of emulating (faking rather) IE and NETSCAPE (the two defacto standards at the time).

Microsoft, with its Internet Explorer (which is integrated in the shell , actually is the shell itself since it works off of explore.exe which is itself the Windows Shell) made a browser that was obviously better than Netscape at the time. So what does Netscape do, make a better browser, Right??? No, they decide to sue Microsoft because their browser is better and it is free. Well, Netscape lost some years later, but Netscape had already pretty much dwindled to nothing. They tried a few things (anybody remember gecko or something like that).

Basically Netscape tarnished its own name by trying to force MS to stop providing its browser free(or rather bundled with windows... which is impossible considering its actually the same thing as the shell) They would rather break up a company and defame a company that has made more millionaires than any other company there has been. And not just in Microsoft's ranks. Anything attached or having to do with Microsoft gets rich. This is NOT SOUND business.

If Microsoft had stolen anything of anybody's don't you think somebody would have a lawsuit against Microsoft for this. I think so..

As far as ideas go, you can say the following things and be correct in saying them :

1) Microsoft wasn't an operating system company originally. They coded BASIC and licensed it to Computer Companies and got bundled usually on the ROM or the actual ROM itself and sometimes as the OS of the computer in the lack of an actual DOS(Disk operating system)

Well, when IBM got into making computers (circa 1980) they wanted an OS. They went to Microsoft. Microsoft referred them to a company that made CP/M. That company (rather their owners) really royally fudged up and wouldn't sign IBM's documents. whoopsie.. wouldn't it be a really different world then ?? Apple actually might still be real big if this one dumbass had been intelligent and signed the darn papers already..

Well, IBM came back to Microsoft and Microsoft basically licensed a clone of CP/M DOS as their own. They didn't get a great deal of money out of this. But it made a defacto standard.
After this Microsoft developed that DOS (QDOS, and then MSDOS) and so the first universal OS was in works.. Since IBM was like the only corporate image of computing in those days, where IBM went meant something back then..

2) Apple didn't have a GUI themselves.. They were given all that they knew from Xerox. Apple didn't use their gift that smartly. First off, they fired their CEO, their driving force. The company that forced themselves to be better. And then, they didn't use the GUI operating system as they should have or as quick as they should have. Basically, they gipped themselves. As far as Microsoft goes in this, the idea of a GUI can't be given to MS, Linux, or Apple. Microsoft was the first company to make it popular and universal. Nobody would except a text OS anymore (whoopsie, poor Linux users)