Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access some websites

• Please log in to reply

gallinson

gallinson

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been struggling with a problem for a couple of months now - I cannot access a number of specific websites. Typically the problems are encountered when I try and do something within a site (eg run a search, look at my inbox).

A few examples:

* I can navigate www.yahoo.com fine - I can even login to my email account, but every time I click on a link to go to my inbox the site times out.
* I can navigate www.dabs.com fine - but if I search for a product it times out.

I've tried resetting my cookies, history and security settings. I've even been in to my registery and adjusted my MTU to 1492 (not sure what this does but I'd seen it recommended to other people with similar problems). I've even reset my Winsock - all to no avail.

The annoying thing is I have 4 accounts on my XP machine. On one of the user accounts (the one which I use for work and goes via my work VPN) does let me access all of the above sites fine, so this isn't a hardware or ISP issue.

Does anyone have any ideas at all what might be causing this?

Gallinson.

Oh - also forgot to mention - I get the same problem using either IE6 or Firefox.

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
You might have a malware problem. Do you have any AV scanners or AS scans on your system?

:tazz:

gallinson

gallinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Not sure - how would I find out?

(FYI - I also have problems with this site - for example when I click on the "Add Reply" button the site times out. I have had to use a different account to post this message).

gallinson

gallinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Any idea how I might check for this?

Thanks.

G