Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply

Random_player

Random_player

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am thinking of upgrading my system it has :

Pentium 4, 3.00Ghz Processor
1Gb Of RAM
150Gb Hard disk
Radion X300 Graphics Card

Etc...

I mainly play performance demanding games and use 3d design software (Very Graphics Demanding) .

I think my little old radion is letting my system down. can anyone help with with graphics card to buy.

I found a few on http://www.novatech.com but i heard that some cards cannot be used with some motherboards or somthing . Please help

Andy -

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I believe the x300 is only in PCI-e form (I'm not 100% sure here though, so post your mobo and we can tell you what type it is.) So you will want an PCI-e card, not an AGP (the older model cards) if in fact your mobo is PCI-e.

You can get a nice 6600GT for around $150 US in PCI-e or AGP, I'm not sure how the currency translation works to Euro though.

Edited by Metalive, 23 July 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Random_player

Random_player

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Where do i find out my mobo?

I found This one ::: Asus EN6600/TD/256M GeForce 6600 256MB DVI TV Out PCI-E
For £91.65. which is 159.47 USD... is this good or not? This is about my price range .there are a few more aswell. Which is better 256MB or 128Mb because i have found prices are more on some 128Mb Cards.

Edited by Random_player, 24 July 2005 - 01:53 AM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You can find out your mobo by downloading and running a diagnostic software called Everest

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

And I believe you might be looking at the 128mb 6600GT model, versus the 256mb regular 6600. I believe there is a different architecture between the cards, and overall the 6600GT is the better card.

So i would look for the 6600GT, they cost pretty much the same, and you will get better performance.

Random_player

Random_player

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My Mobo is a :

Dell Dimension 8400
Bus Type: Intel Netburst
Bus Width: 64-bit
Real Clock: 200MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock: 400 MHz
Bandwidth: 6400 Mb/s

Hope thats enough Info.

I found out my graphicsc card IS PCI-Express x16 Radeon x300

So is this graphcis card ok for me to buy?

Novatech GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128bit SLI PCI-E TVO/DVI Grpahics Card...

Is this the one you were reccomending.?

Thanks -

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Looks about right.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Random_player

Random_player

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks .

Dr Who

Dr Who

• Pip
  • 6 posts

You can get a nice 6600GT for around $150 US in PCI-e or AGP, I'm not sure how the currency translation works to Euro though.

View Post

Whats the difference between the 2 ? i have Geforce 6600 GT 256mb AGP.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Actually I'm not 100% sure. I believe the GT has a higher clock speeds. And if it is like the 6800/6800GT series it might have more pixel pipelines than it's vanilla counterpart.

Or do you mean between PCI-e and AGP?

Edited by Metalive, 25 July 2005 - 09:43 AM.

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If you go to the chart at the bottom of this page on Tom's Hardware Guide it shows the differnces between the different video cards in terms of core speeds and memory speeds. As far as the differences between AGP and PCI-e, the difference is the size of the available bus. On current games, the differences between a given AGP card and its PCI-e card aren't really noticeable, just as most 128MB cards and their equivalent 256MB versions post approximately the same results in real world environments.

I meant to say that the difference between AGP and PCI-e is the size of the bandwidth, and not the size of the bus.

Edited by ThunderT, 26 July 2005 - 09:53 PM.